Lou's Reviews > Ghost Road Blues

Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry

May 10, 2010

bookshelves: other-beings, january-list-next, bram-stoker-winner
Read from January 11 to 12, 2011

Three criminals arrive to Pine Deep, one of them is more sinister than the rest, a wanted Killer! Is that all the evil that lurks in Pine Deep? No!
This is a dark atmospheric supernatural thriller. I can see why Maberry was awarded the Bram Stoker award for this, he's a great writer really immerses you in the blood pulsing thrill, a real page-turner. The story plays out like an episode of Supernatural. I am hooked, line and sinker!
He's developed a really good protagonist and characters like The Bone Man, Tow-truck Eddie, and The Dark Man all written in a good prose.

"Evil don't die it just waits"

that's what the Boneman says in this story and it's more gripping thriller stuff than being a haunting or gory story. You feel we only get glimpse of a lot of his characters in this book due to it being a trilogy I am looking forward to reading Bad Moon Rising the second book of the PIne Deep series.

"Hells a coming and we all gotta learn the blues"
"Dark Hollow was as dark as a tomb and as inviting as an open, beckoning grave; yet there were worse places in Pine Deep, places where the shadows were darker still and the air hummed with a malevolent tension. But these places were never named and they were never thought about by choice. Dark Hollow, a doorway to those other places, remained as the darkest place known consciously to the people of the town, and in its Way it was dark enough."

Over here also.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Road Blues.

01/11/2011 page 100
21.0% "Three criminals enter Pine Deep is that the only evil that lurks? The story is set up well and has got me interested I can see why maberry was awarded Bram Stroker award for this, the story plays out like an episode of Supernatural. I am hooked! Line and sinker!" 2 comments
01/11/2011 page 222
47.0% "He can write good dark atmosphere and with characters like The Bone Man, Tow-truck Eddie the Sword of God and Mike a young teen and his bike called The War Machine this is great stuff!"
01/11/2011 page 223
47.0% "Dark Hollow was as dark as a tomb and as inviting as an open, beckoning grave; yet there were worse places in Pine Deep, places where the shadows were darker still and the air hummed with a malevolent tension. But these places were never named and they were never thought about by choice."
01/11/2011 page 224
47.0% "Dark Hollow, a doorway to those other places, remained as the darkest place known consciously to the people of the town, and in its Way it was dark enough."
01/12/2011 page 355
75.0% ""Evil don't die it just waits" that's what the Boneman quotes in this story and it's more gripping thriller stuff more than being haunting or gory and you feel with thus story alot of this characters we only get glimpse of die to it being trilogy I am looking forward to no.2. "Hells a coming and we all gotta learn the blue" He can really use words in right way when needed to make you feel the setting."
01/12/2011 page 472
100.0% "Excellent"

Jonathan So glad that you enjoyed the first book of the Pine Deep Trilogy. Thanks for the review!

message 2: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Thanks for the good writing

Helen loved this series, fantastic!

message 4: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou I need to knock out A dead mans song this October month.

message 5: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Griffin Enjoyed your review, Lou. Since I write in a similar genre, your comments grabbed me. I particularly loved the quote, "Evil don't die it just waits"

I think you may enjoy my paranormal suspense thriller, "Of Good And Evil." Give it a look, http://geraldggriffin.blogspot.com

Jonathan Glad you enjoyed the book. Just an FYI...the second book in the series is DEAD MAN'S SONG.

BAD MOON RISING is the third and final book.

there are also several related Pine Deep short stories, mostly set ten years after the events of BAD MOON RISING. And one story, PROPERTY CONDEMNED, set during Crow's childhood.