Madeline's Reviews > Hatchet

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

111921
May 09, 10

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, kids-and-young-adult

Friggin' awesome. My 3rd grade teacher read this book aloud to my class, a chapter a day, and I remember being absolutely enthralled every single day. She read it to us right before first recess, so whenever that day's chapter ended with a cliffhanger we had the whole recess to discuss what we thought was going to happen next (and act out our own renditions of the time Brian got attacked by a bear).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hatchet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia You had an awesome third grade teacher!

Madeline She was the best. This was the same teacher who stayed after school with me and helped me with my math homework. Sadly, her efforts were ultimately a failure, as I can still barely multiply without a calculator, but I appreciated it.

message 3: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Ingall I saw this book on Betsy Bird's list of the best 100 children's novels of all time - never heard of it what with being OLD. You think it's too scary/suspenseful for a before-bed read-aloud with a 3rd grader?

Madeline Well, there's definitely some scary moments, what with Brian getting stranded in the wilderness after a plane crash and having to survive on his own - plus there's the previously-mentioned bear attack. But Paulson doesn't write about it in a really frightening way, and everything does turn out okay in the end. I remember being scared at some points when I listened to it as a third grader, but it was a good, oh-my-god-this-is-so-cool kind of scared.

message 5: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Ingall Thanks! I'm in.

Madeline Hooray! Let me know how it goes.

TANGENT: Just noticed the new comment format, and am strongly opposed. Way to be more like Facebook, Goodreads.

Michael Gary Paulsen pretty much rocks. This one was the best, but Dogsong and Woodsong were also excellent. Did you ever read those?

Madeline No, I never read those. *consults Paulson's Goodreads page*

I've read: Nightjohn, My Life in Dog Years, Mr. Tucket (and a couple of the sequels, I think), The White Fox Chronicles, and Sisters/Hermanas

Michael Ah, I haven't read any of those, although My Life in Dog Years was one that sounded interesting.

If you get in the mood to revisit Paulsen, I definitely recommend those two. Woodsong is a memoir about dogsledding and the Iditarod, and it's my favorite other than Hatchet. Dogsong is also really cool...hunting polar bears with spears among other things. In other words, hardcore.

Madeline Yeah, My Life in Dog Years is lovely. It's a nonfiction book that's basically a memoir - Paulson talking about all the dogs he's owned throughout his life and how important they each were to him. If you're a dog person it's very touching and wonderful.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I love My Life In Dog Years.

My favorite Paulsen is Harris and Me, which is a novel that's part autobiographical. It's great.