Tabitha Olson's Reviews > Going Bovine

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

May 17, 10

bookshelves: recent-reviews
Read in January, 2010

Disclaimer: If I read a book I don’t like, I never let that one story put me off an author. After all, you have no idea how versatile that author can be if you stop at one book. But if I don’t like two stories, well, chances are high that I’m not a fan of that author’s style.

I read Libba Bray’s Great and Terrible Beauty trilogy, and didn’t particularly like it. But, keeping the above info in mind, I picked up Going Bovine with an open mind and a hopeful heart...and I still didn’t like it. So, I think Bray’s style just isn’t my cup of tea, and you should keep that in mind as you read this review.

I started reading this book knowing nothing about it, with only a cursory glance at the summary on the back. In the first few chapters, I went from confusion to frustration to figuring out how the book was going to end. That left about 400 pages left to go through in order to see if I was right. And I was. That made it nearly impossible to get into the story, and I was pretty disappointed. There’s not much else I can say without revealing spoilers, so here’s the warning.

SPOILER ALERT.

I love surreal books. Love them. Can’t get enough. I also love books that question reality, and also surmise that reality is what we make it. It makes the writer geek in me get all giddy. Going Bovine is definitely a surreal book that questions reality, so it should have been love at first sight. But it wasn’t, and this is why.

1) When I first pick up a surreal book, the actual reality parts MUST be real for me. The characters must behave appropriately, events must unfold naturally, and nothing should pull me out of the story.

2) When the surreal elements are introduced, they need to start out feeling real. If I don’t believe them in the beginning, I’m certainly not going to believe them toward the end. So they need to suck me in and make me swallow that hook, and then I will likely believe the most outrageous things by the end.

Going Bovine started out surreal, even in the real world. That level of surrealism stayed constant instead of building throughout the story, so not once did I believe in anything that was happening. It kept me from connecting with the characters, so, by the time we got to the questioning of reality, I didn’t really care because I’d already been questioning it.

What I wanted was to believe in Cameron’s real world, then believe in the early stages of Cameron’s alternate reality, and then get caught up in the whirlwind of Cameron’s mind as things get crazier and crazier. Unfortunately, it didn’t happen that way.

I think this is part of Libba Bray’s style, though, because A Great and Terrible Beauty has similar elements. So if you like her style, or if you like wacky stories that get wackier by the minute, then this is the book for you. For me, it’s just not my cup of tea.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Bovine.