Billpilgrim's Reviews > Bloodroot

Bloodroot by Amy Greene

M_50x66
May 09, 10

Read in May, 2010

Story of a family in Appalachia, as told by a few different characters. The main actor is Myra Lamb, who grows up on Bloodroot Mountain but leaves when she falls in love with and marries John Odom when she is still a teenager. They have a supernatural attraction, something that comes from Myra's family. Part One starts with the story as told by Birdie and Doug. Birdie is Myra's grandmother, but she raised Myra after her daughter, Myra's mother, dies with her father when their car is hit by a train. Birdie can take the story back to a previous generation. Doug is a neighbor on the mountain, Myra's age who is a good friend of hers and who also loves her but it is an unrequited love. Part Two is told by Myra's children, Johnny and Laura, who are fraternal twins. They tell about living with Myra alone on the mountain, in her grandmother's old house, removed and hiding from society, after they have to leave John Odom. In Part Three, Myra tells her story, focused on her life with John, which explains how she ended up in Part Two. Finally, there is a epilogue of John's, that fills in some gaps in the story.

I mostly enjoyed the book. My favorite part was the second, and after that, I really only wanted to find out the missing pieces of the the story. Myra's portion of the book did not engage me as much. She did not feel as real to me as her children did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodroot.