Alex Matsu's Reviews > Inside the Shadow City

Inside the Shadow City by Kirsten Miller

May 09, 2010

bookshelves: grade-8-ir-books

** spoiler alert ** This book is narrated by a girl named Ananka Fishbien, who is also one of the main characters, along with kiki Strike, Luz Lopez, Deedee Morlock, Betty Bent, Oona Wong. Ananka was unpopular at school when a new girl, Kiki Strike moves to her school. Kiki gets Ananka to join her group of extra talented, unappreciated girls called the irregulars, and together they go on many journeys underneath the streets of NYC in a maze of tunnels, rooms, and treasure called the shadow city.
The book connection I made was a text-to-text. The shadow city is a lot like the maze in the movie "Labyrinth." Old and made of stone, with many mysteries and treasures to unlock. The Labyrinth is very confusing, full of secret chambers, and there is no map, or way out. In the shadow city there are halls and corridors to no end, with tricky locks and rooms.
I gave this book five stars because it was written well, and had a fun and engaging plot. This book was made to excite the readers into reading it all in one day, and that was what happened. I would recommend this book to anyone who liked Eragon, and mystery books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside the Shadow City.