Shanna's Reviews > Perfect from Now On: How Indie Rock Saved My Life

Perfect from Now On by John Sellers

Jun 13, 10

bookshelves: books-about-music
Read in June, 2010

My thoughts on this book in list format:

1. Dear Lord, the footnotes! Yeah, some of the asides were great, but they could have been proper chapters instead of increasingly annoying 8+ page rants.

2. The book felt incomplete. Partially because so much of the book dealt with Sellers's youth and his early musical influences and then all of the sudden he's obsessed with Pavement and GBV and boom! The end.

3. The band that penned lyrics that would become the title of the book only got a brief shout-out--what's up with that?

4. I failed to see how indie rock saved his life. The subtitle of the book should have been: "How I, a somewhat pretentious fanboy, fucked up by lying to his hero and was later forgiven. Oh yeah, and Game of Pricks is sweet!" It would have been a much more accurate subtitle.

5. I liked "Appendix A" and thought that the book could have used more lists, even if I disagreed with some of them.

6. How can Sellers mock Ben Gibbard's voice when the lead singer of Built to Spill (the aforementioned band that got the half-assed mention in the book) sounds so similar?

7. (and final)"Her Psychology Today" is NOT the worst track on Bee Thousand. I know Sellers would probably flip, but it is definitely "Kicker of Elves". Sorry.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect from Now On.