Shannon's Reviews > I Feel Bad About My Neck: and Other Thoughts on Being a Woman

I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron

F_50x66
May 16, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Recommended to Shannon by: Amy Burling
Recommended for: Women of a certain age
Read from May 10 to 15, 2010, read count: Once

Since the girls like to read and "draw-draw" on the Etch-a-Sketch thingy-s that Babcia and Dziadek gave them while we are in the car, I've stopped listening to kid's music and decided to go back to audiobooks. However, I started to worry that listening to violent audiobooks (like my favorite mystery/thriller/suspense genre) might be as traumatic as watching violent television, so I figured that I have to pick something fairly innocent without murder, fighting, sex scenes, and a paucity of four-letter words. I'll have to ask my pediatrician about this (although, he will probably tease me as he always does for being too overprotective), but it does make me feel better to have these parameters for what I choose to listen to in the car.

So, enter this book, which my bestest sister-in-law Amy read recently and enjoyed. It is a humor book, and it is probably best for women of a mature age. I am not so sure that I would have gotten it several years ago, but, now that I have almost reached that magical age of 40 and don't understand why it so hard to find jeans that fit around your waist since more than half of American women and defintely those of is that have had multiple children have muffin-tops, I understand more and more of the humor.

The best thing about this audiobook, since I am not in the car *that* much is that it is more a collection of humorous autobiographical essays than a continuous story in which you constantly have to try and remember what was happening when you turned off the car the day before.

My favorite essay (and they were all super cute, which Ephron would probably kill me for saying, and relatable) was the one about purses. Everyone who knows me knows that I am obsessively compulsively anal about cleanliness and organization. This has become very difficult to continue to do with the children (though, some of it rubs off as Sophie picks up trash everywhere we go and Jacqueline finds the most miniscule pieces of whatever on the floor and brings to me to throw out). So, I laughed out loud as Ephron described what she finds in her purse. I know have a "Mom Purse," which I did clean out the other day and found a couple of animal crackers, several crushed Pepperidge Farm goldfishes, and the ubiquitous used tissues from the allergy season!

My one gripe was with the last essay, which I did think was morbid and did not fit into the humor theme. Maybe it was hard for me hear, since I am getting older, may not be able to conceive again, scared to death of death, and my parents and in-laws are now officially that age where worrisome things can and do happen. But, it was a real downer, especially at the end of the audiobook.

This audiobook was read by the author, and she was an amazing reader! Her enunciation was clean and clear, and she read slowly so, for the first time ever, I did not have to turn the volume up to pick the words up. Ephron reminded me so much of my Mom...a straight-shooter with whom you always know where you stand. And like with my Mom, I would enjoy knowing her and would be proud to call her a friend if the opportunity ever arose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Feel Bad About My Neck.

05/11/2010 page 1
25.0% "Love her reading style...for once, I don't have to turn the volume way up to catch every word!"
05/13/2010 page 2
50.0% "I checked...no loose tic-tacs in the bottom of my purse, but there were several crushed animal crackers and Pepperidge Farm goldfish there!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Empress5150 Glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, the last essay was a downer. Margot told me that many of these had been written for other venues (e.g., New Yorker) and then compiled into this "book". So, maybe that was one she wrote for something else and threw in for whatever reason.

I don't feel bad about my neck (yet) but I do hate certain things about my body!

Shannon Tell me about it, Amy!