Joanne's Reviews > Life Among the Savages

May 26, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: memoir, nonfiction
Read from May 09 to 21, 2010

This book is a collection of humorous stories about the author's family life. Her writing style consists of many very long sentences, often with one thought after another after another. I think this style conveys the hectic lifestyle of a busy woman's life quite effectively. Here's one such example:

"Sally had at this time entered with complete abandon into a form-fitting fairyland; I saw her sometimes as wandering perpetually in a misty odd world, where familiar shapes merged and changed as she passed and occasionally a brother or a sister or a parent, stepping from behind a tree, might briefly interrupt her journey; with the exception of Jannie, who slept in the same room and had no refuge from Sally's bedroom stories, I spent more time with Sally than with anyone else, and began to find that a large part of my daily activity was accompanied by Sally's tuneful and unceasing conversation; part song, part story, part uncomplimentary editorial comment."

Whew!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life Among the Savages.