Thomas's Reviews > The Scorch Trials

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

2018505
Dec 16, 10

bookshelves: five-stars, own-physical, dystopia, young-adult, science-fiction
Read on October 17, 2010

I AM SO CONFUSED RIGHT NOW.

I hate it when people do that. Don't you just want to tell them," okay, calm down. It's not like writing in caps is going to get your point across any further." But I just had to, because my brain is bursting at the seams after reading The Scorch Trials.

I love Thomas' name! I know my enthusiasm is quite unnecessary, but I've never seen the name Thomas used for the protagonist of a book. And a great one, too. Now there are other references besides that darn Thomas the Train and Thomas Edison... boring.

Anyway, this book was titillating. Sometimes I felt like Dashner was purposefully being a big tease by pulling the wool over Thomas' eyes one too many times, but I still loved it. There was something in the book about killing someone to get food... I don't think I would kill for the next book in the series, because then I'd be sent to the crazy place, but I still want it really really bad. REALLY, REALLY BAD. Now I'm doing it again...

Now I can do my homework in peace. Hopefully. I'll probably surf the web for other people's thoughts on the ending instead...

Until The Death Cure.

Want to see my future reviews? Follow me here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorch Trials.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Nope, can't say I've killed anyone for a book. Glad you liked it. :)

Thomas Ha that's what happens when I get to excited -_-. Thanks :)

message 3: by Cara (new) - added it

Cara Wow. Now I have to really The Maze Runner and see the fuss. Nice review;)

Thomas I guess my incoherent review showed how much I loved it haha... thank you :D

message 5: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Gah now I'm tempted to drop everything I'm doing and start reading my copy of THE SCORCH TRIALS! Ahh the temptation...! haha

Andrew The ending confused me too. Even though I loved this book and read it nonstop until I finished it, it was still a little to depressing for me. Maybe it's because whenever I read a depressing middle book, I always have the next to re-cheer me up again. In this, I have to wait another year or so until I feel better.

message 7: by ADK (new) - rated it 4 stars

ADK The ending was extremely frustrating....It also made me very depressed to learn that the next book won't be coming for another year.....horrible....

Thomas Well I think the author has to space out his books to make money, you know? But yeah the ending was a bit frustrating in the sense that I can't wait for the next one... :)

message 9: by ADK (new) - rated it 4 stars

ADK Yeah it will probably just make me ten times more wound up for the next one.....sure glad I bought noth books....re-read them before it comes out...

message 10: by Jane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane You really need to read Tom Sawyer then. Mark Twain was brilliant.

Thomas I'm going to read Tom Sawyer next year for my AP Language class, so I'll save it for then :) Thanks for the recommendation.

message 12: by Jane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane Hmmm, I am a re-reader and Tom Sawyer is worth reading again and again. I finished Scorch Trials now and I think I liked it better than Maze Runner but I am not sure why. Have you read the Gone Series?

Thomas I love the Gone series :) Have you read them?

message 14: by Jane (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane Yes and can't wait for the new one
in April. If you hadn't read it, I would have told you to.

message 15: by ADK (new) - rated it 4 stars

ADK Gone series is awesome possum.....

message 16: by Aly (new) - added it

Aly I haven't read the book but I agree with the whole confusing thing. I've read books that I've actually had to stop thing and then re-read it and then ponder and wonder what the heck that was. Whether it was some ending that left me hanging or a chapter that didn't make sense! Even though some times I think it might be these things that make these books so great!

Thomas Jane wrote: "Yes and can't wait for the new one
in April. If you hadn't read it, I would have told you to."

I just bought the new one, I'm reading it soon :)

Thomas ADK wrote: "Gone series is awesome possum....."

Agreed!

Waly wrote: "I haven't read the book but I agree with the whole confusing thing. I've read books that I've actually had to stop thing and then re-read it and then ponder and wonder what the heck that was. Whether it was some ending that left me hanging or a chapter that didn't make sense! Even though some times I think it might be these things that make these books so great!..."

Yeah, it's an exhilarating experience - a lot of twists and turns that leave you feeling a little lost at the end, but in a good way.

message 19: by Krishna (new) - added it

Krishna O.M.G GONE AND HUNGER THE OTHER BOOK IS SOO GOOD! It's so exhilarating!!

message 20: by ADK (new) - rated it 4 stars

ADK Krishna, have you read all of the Gone books?

Sarah I just finished the book and had the same reaction you did. I am so confused and have no idea if what I read really explained much. :/

message 22: by Frederico (new)

Frederico i have only read this book without reading the maze runner,but so far it seems really dark n psychotic,sadistic in fact.treating a bunch of teens as labrats n killing them in brutal ways unimaginable...worst part is u have no one heck of an idea whats gona happen,what with all the deception.initially looks like another zombie serial or movie,but its more disturbing than that.i dont think i can stomach so much gore and murder,especially of kids,seems really heinous.on top of having no idea when the truth will be unveiled

message 23: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat My son is Thomas too & he is quite excited about this series. He gave me Maze Runner and said Mom, you MUST read this book. Now I'm hooked. Hopefully not so much so that I am past Gone.

Jessie The last couple chapters stirred up so much emotion it was making me sick. I get into books, but usually not this much. And so far, I don't know if it is a good thing.

****SPOILERS****
I absolutely hated Teresa when I found out she had been lying all along. And I felt as betrayed as Thomas, because I really felt right there with him. I cared about Teresa. I was, and still am so angry at her (I know this is fiction). I held on to all hope that she was just acting, and it hit me like a brick wall when I realized she had known Aris all along. And "watching" her kiss him, dug up the feelings of every time I had been betrayed by a girl. Even after she came back to get him from the gas chamber and she explained everything, I felt just like Thomas when she kissed him again; nothing. I'm so proud of Thomas for finally dropping her at the end. I hoped he would be able to reconcile with Brenda, but by the sounds of it. She is just as untrustworthy. The ending just made me hate every girl in the book. I hope they can somehow redeem themselves, or I will regret reading these books, because I have to have a happy ending. If I wanted life to suck that bad, I wouldn't read books.

Grant Dude nice! Me and you and starbucks coffee would be A-Maze-ing!

Kayam Nice review! :D

Mrs.LillyMacCrae I know this might be stupid but I'm lost. Is there any romance in the first book or this one? I keep hearing different things! It's annoying.

Casey Whisenant My exact thoughts on this book worded the same way I'm trying to word mine. I just... gaahhhh.... why must good books leave you incoherent and speechless? It makes telling other people about the books much more difficult....

Thomas Sorry for not responding to all of these comments individually, but I'm glad so many of you have also felt the confusion and wonder and excitement of this second installment! Mrs. LiannaHerondale-Shreave, there is romance in both books (the first a little more than the second, if I recall) but in neither does the romance take center stage. The action is always at the forefront, guided by Thomas's character development.

Nehal Khan seriously maze runner thrillede from begining till the end but this book has no match compared to the maze runner. Half of the book was based on walking through the desert which made it boring. Though the end was a bit exciting when they all reunited. However, I still believe Death cure wouldnt disappoint me as much and scorch trials did.

message 31: by Hamza (new) - rated it 1 star

Hamza Hi can you plz tell me how to read this book on this website

message 32: by janelle milazzo (new)

janelle milazzo If u want a good book with a great main character named Thomas read Odd Thomas...it's amazing