Nancy's Reviews > The Imperfectionists

The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman

Dec 05, 11

Read in December, 2011

I know I shouldn't, but I've been puzzling over how to classify this book. It is original enough to escape that effort, but perhaps the statement that I was puzzled says something. The book is like a very large jigsaw puzzle and, voila! after about 1,000 pieces the larger landscape starts to come into focus.

Rachman has written slender slices of life for a dozen or more characters and, as the novel unfolds, they morph from individual flowers or trees into part of a much more complex image.

Charting the course of a second-rate international newspaper and its staff was an interesting background for the quirks and insecurities of the book's characters. If I had to quibble, I'd complain about the lack of closure on the readers relationship with so many characters. We are introduced; we have a few shared experiences; and we eventually learn of their "career arc." But, this book was really not about their careers, so much was left unexplored.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Imperfectionists.