Sarah's Reviews > The Scar

The Scar by China Miéville

Dec 20, 2011

bookshelves: own
Read from July 25, 2010 to January 14, 2011

The second book in the New Crobuzon series/set in the world of Bas Lag and my second book read by China Mieville. After reading Perdido Street Station and being blown away with the world Mieville had created, his choice of vocabulary and impressed by the imagination used to create such a piece of work, I was totally up for reading another Mieville. When I read the synopsis for The Scar I was not too keen, I wasn't in the mood for a pirate story, I wanted to be back in New Crobuzon, the dirty, corupt city with weird and wonderful dwellers, but I began reading and was sucked into life on Armada, a floating pirate city spanning miles with all the wierd and wonderful races seen previously. All the characters were interesting but I found myself empathising with the characters in P. S. S. more than The Scar. The Scar is not a direct sequel to P. S. S. and can be read alone but having read P. S. S. first I am glad I did as there were references to New Crobuzon and the events which occured in P. S. S. prior and I feel I got more out of the read with that prior knowledge. P. S. S. also describes the different races and the history behind them which is only glossed over in The Scar. Bellis Coldwine (who fled New Crobuzon after the events in P. S. S and also has links to previous characters) is the main character in The Scar and the anti-hero, which makes her more of a realistic character in my eyes, it wasn't easy to like or dislike her as was the same of many other characters. The overall theme I took from this book was freedom in its many forms, mixing fantasy, horror, sc-ifi and steampunk. The Scar ended up impressing me just as much as P. S. S., I didn't want it to end. Both P. S. S. and The Scar are fantastic, with The Scar being the more positive read as well as a smoother reading experience from page 1. I would have loved to read more on the journey of Armada and its inhabitants but will willingly continue on and read Iron Council which is not a direct follow but the third book in the series set in the world of Bas Lag. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scar.

Quotes Sarah Liked

China Miéville
“Scars are not injuries, Tanner Sack. A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole.”
China Miéville, The Scar

China Miéville
“In time, in time they tell me, I'll not feel so bad. I don't want time to heal me. There's a reason I'm like this.
I want time to set me ugly and knotted with loss of you, marking me. I won't smooth you away.
I can't say goodbye.”
China Miéville, The Scar

07/25/2010 page 34
07/29/2010 page 107
13.0% "A faster pace than Perdido Street Station. Great so far, it has already influenced my dreams."
11/18/2010 page 331
42.0% "Wow, I started this book a while back, still reading it now due to life's ups and downs, enjoying it though, thats all that matters!"
show 1 hidden update…