Lou's Reviews > The Girl Next Door

The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum

May 26, 12

bookshelves: horror, adapted-to-screen, thriller
Read in June, 2008

A shocking story of abuse at the hands of an evil mother.
What was once a harmless game of fun that a group of friends played in a neighborhood turned into a game of torture and abuse.
Executed by the hands of kids ranging 7 to 13 and one wicked woman.
There was one boy who did not want to take part and tried to dissociate from what he was seeing.
The boy also fell in love with one of the girls, who was the person who was receiving the brunt of the violence.
She arrived in the neighborhood just recently with her sister, they were both orphaned after their parents died in an automobile crash.
The boy does not display or express his love for her. He finds himself caught in a situation that unearths other dark curiosities within himself.

A shocking graphic description of abuse that makes you want to shudder at disgust but an oh so very true story taken straight from today's headlines. Ketchum writes this brutal story well and it is an intriguing page-turner which sticks you to the pages with an expectant rejoice for the victims salvation from this evil.

There is are Video interviews to watch on my webpage.

There was a movie also released later which just as brutal.
Photobucket

The evil band of kids portrayed in the movie..
Photobucket

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Next Door.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Jack Ketchum is known for this kind of gory treatment of horrific material. I read his book "Off Season," which deals with a cannibalistic tribe that attacks a family while they are (wait for it) vacationing somewhere in the country. It was a brutal, wicked book.

message 2: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Another to read I have not tried sitting on my shelf S.king raves about it on the cover.

Kelly Have you read about the actual true case that this book is based on?

message 4: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou I have heard about it somewhere but not looked into it.

Amanda - Go Book Yourself This is one of his best books! You should read off season and offspring.

message 6: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Amanda wrote: "This is one of his best books! You should read off season and offspring."

Yep you're right Off Season is on my bookshelf I have been holding it off for a while to read. The woman by him is really good have you read that?

message 7: by Lou (last edited Jan 14, 2012 03:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Lou wrote: "Amanda wrote: "This is one of his best books! You should read off season and offspring."

Also I recommend reading Kin it's on all ebook formats by a fellow of yOure shores Kealan Patrick Burke. Daniel Woodrell, Jack Ketchum, J.Konrath and Ray Pollock Similarities.

Amanda - Go Book Yourself Yeah ive read the woman. It's good but read off season and off spring first. I'll check out that book.

Amanda - Go Book Yourself Like the sound of it! It on my to read list :)