Lou's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Oct 10, 12

bookshelves: january-list-next
Read from January 20 to 22, 2011

A wonderful piece of literature, great characters, plot and prose. There is sadness and happiness, racism and equality, immaturity and maturity, injustice and redemption.
Atticus is a man we could all love and look up to a grounded just and fair man he sees beyond race and finds the goodness in people. His cook Calpurnia Is honest good black lady who you just gotta love in this story, she works for a nice family who are about to go through some obstacles and testing times.
A lot of the story is told through a young girl and is enjoyable to see things from a young perspective for example this excerpt...
"There was a man Dill had heard of who had a boat that he rowed across to a foggy island where all these babies were; you could order one— “That’s a lie. Aunty said God drops ‘em down the chimney. At least that’s what I think she said.” For once, Aunty’s diction had not been too clear.

"You know the truth, and the truth is this: some Negroes lie, some Negroes are immoral, some Negro men are not to be trusted around women—black or white. But this is a truth that applies to the human race and to no particular race of men."

“Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don’t eat up people’s gardens, don’t nest in corncribs, they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”

Some trivia about the book and movie...
Finch was writer Harper Lee's mother's maiden name.
Despite the novel winning the Pulitzer Prize, the studios were not interested in buying up the film rights as they deemed it lacking in action, there was no love story and the villain doesn't get a big comeuppance. Producer Alan J. Pakula disagreed however and persuaded director Robert Mulligan that it would make a good film. Together they were able to convince Gregory Peck who readily agreed.

Truman Capote, who grew up with Harper Lee, also knew the inspiration for "Boo" Radley, and had planned to base a character on him in one of his short stories. After seeing how well the character was realized in Lee's novel, however, he decided against it.

Some images..

Harper Lee on the right.

Quotes Lou Liked

Harper Lee
“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.”

Harper Lee
“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”

Harper Lee
“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.
- Atticus Finch”

Harper Lee
“People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.”

01/20/2011
20.0% "Good old days stuff"
01/20/2011
50.0% "Funny"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mike (the Paladin) Great book.

Kevin Xu Its one of those books that they make eveyone read. I liked the book, but I think its overated, just a way to teach certain values.

Kwesi 章英狮 I really enjoyed this great book!

message 4: by Lou (new) - added it

Lou Yes me too great human struggle

Kwesi 章英狮 I can't remember that night when I can't sleep by reading this book and I have to take my preliminary exam the other day. Hoho. Bad student, fail.

message 6: by Lou (new) - added it

Lou When you pass you will have all the time in the world to read lol.

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha, I see, but don't forget you have to hire yourself and live like the others. Aaay, life is so mysterious and difficult.

message 8: by Noran (last edited May 01, 2012 04:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Noran Miss Pumkin It was the first Book Chicago picked for its city wide reading club. It was sold out everywhere-I found an old hard cover in a used bookstore. The former Mayer Richard Daly said it was his favorite title. The book and movie have taught me life lessons. Denise Hooper made his first screen appearance in the film, as Boo.

Chuck This is an outstanding review. It is one of the best books I've ever read.

Thanks.

Regards,
Chuck

message 10: by Lou (new) - added it

Lou Chuck wrote: "This is an outstanding review. It is one of the best books I've ever read.

Thanks.

Regards,
Chuck"

Thanks Chuck nice to know you liked it.

Steve Sckenda Great job, Lou. It's always great to visit an old friend.

message 12: by Keri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri One of my favorite classics!

message 13: by Lou (new) - added it

Lou Keri wrote: "One of my favorite classics!"

Great story I still not watched it again since reading this. Long overdue to watch.

message 14: by Lou (new) - added it

Lou Steve wrote: "Great job, Lou. It's always great to visit an old friend."
Thanks Steve I am going to re-read this with I hope more to say.

message 15: by Alan (new)

Alan Sheinwald I've read this book twice but I really think I should read it again.