Mitchel Broussard's Reviews > The Enemy

The Enemy by Charlie Higson

Aug 01, 10

bookshelves: apocalypse, thriller-suspense, on-my-nook, summer-2010, series, dystopia, ya-fiction, mind-equals-blown
Read from July 26 to August 01, 2010 — I own a copy

New favorite? Yeah, pretty much. It's so brutal and unrelenting in its violence, that you completely forget that these are 10-year-olds getting their heads cut off and stabbed onto stakes. I loved every bloody page of it.

So basically everyone over the age of 16 turns into ravenous, brains-eating, boil-covered, and disease-infested zombies. Its never explained what happened, but in this new world of kid versus adult, there's really no time to stop and be philosophical.

What this set up reminded me most of was Michael Grant's Gone novels. Because, you see, no one exactly knows whats gonna happen when you turn 16. Will you turn into a zombie overnight? Is it gonna be slow and painful? Will the kids just up and die and not be able to carry the virus, or whatever the hell it is? This mystery just immediately brought me back to the Fayz "poof" mystery in Gone. There are other similarities, like the kid-on-kid violence, the separation into gangs, and the general confusion on what caused this all to happen.

I would have to say that The Enemy is tad more violent, however. (By a tad I mean a shit-ton). And it's pretty scary, too. I was so nervous for one scene in particular. Let's just say there's a group of grown ups that are still very much sane (for reasons i beg to be resolved in later installments), but they like their 9 year olds hanging from meat hooks and bleeding from slashes made in their sides. Mmm tasty.

But it never feels unnecessary. This, to me, is exactly how it should be. I don't need, or want, my zombies sugar coated. This is a world where the "grown-ups" are not playing fair. Yeah, some are stupid (there's a group that roam a mall and dress up hilariously wrong in clothes) but most are cunning, smart, and scarily determined. One zombie "father," as the kids call them, turns out to be a lot like the Harvard shirt zombie in Stephen King's Cell. He's the kinda evolved form. He makes plans to trick the kids, and starts to build his zombie army, but he is still very much diseased like the rest.

READ THIS BOOK. I think its the start of a great new series. It's right up there with The Hunger Games and the Gone novels for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enemy.

07/28/2010 page 200
07/29/2010 page 300
67.0% "can someone please explain to me this sentence: ""I didn't like him," said Achilleus. "He was getting on my tits."" lolwut?! Its official, anytime someone is annoying me, i'm saying "you're getting on my tits, man"" 6 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aaron Vincent Oh geez., this sounds really good.! You compared it to GONE and THG!!! That says something! I'm crossing my fingers that our bookstores here has a copy of this.

message 2: by Anne Nikoline (new)

Anne Nikoline Wow that sounds really interesting. It's now on my to-read list.

Mitchel Broussard yeah i think you guys'll like it. I'd still say i rather THG just b/c i rather its characters. But this is just as addictively readable and awesome

Aaron Vincent Already bought my copy yesterday. I think the paper edges in black is pretty awesome. Going to read it this weekend.

Chloe Guess I'll need to get this one. Pronto.