Carin's Reviews > Eat, Pray, Love

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Dec 11, 2007

bookshelves: book-club, memoir, travel-writing, ew-s-100-new-classics, women-authors, seen-the-movie
Read in October, 2007

I really didn't want to read this book as it looked rather woo-woo and Oprah-y, but again my book club pervailed, to my eternal thanks. The middle section, India, is a bit hard-going. I think I only got through it due to a) being stuck on a plane without alternate reading material readily handy and b) that Buddhism class I took in college. If you get to that part and get stuck, skip it and go on to Indonesia. India is pretty intense, dry, and doesn't have any action. But overall, this book really gave me a few insights into past relationships, and into a seriously scarring depression that I've seen others go through but haven't myself (knock wood). While I'm not a religious or even "spiritual" personal myself, that's by no means necessary for enjoying this book. Thankfully the author has a great sense of humor, or else I think it would in fact have been too woo-woo as I initially feared. But just when you feel like rolling your eyes because she's gotten all earnest, she makes a sarcastic remark and all is forgiven.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, Pray, Love.