Elena's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Sep 29, 2010

bookshelves: young-adult, urban-fantasy-paranormal, historical, favorites, reviewed
Read from September 26 to 29, 2010

I can't remember the last time I gave a 100% positive review to a book (I am horrendously nitpicky even when I love a book), but as I sat down to review this one, I couldn't think of a single quibble or qualm. I enjoyed the Mortal Instruments trilogy, to which this series is a prequel, but I adored Clockwork Angel!

This book has just the right amounts of mystery, excitement, romance, and magical beings and devices. Just about every single character has depth beyond what I'm used to seeing in non-central characters, even the villains (note to authors: if you want to win me over, give me a villain with depth of character).

This book also has one of the most successful love triangles I've seen (possibly even a love square? will have to see how things develop in the next book). After reading Mockingjay and being disappointed in that regard, I was very pleased with how Ms. Clare's done it here. (Also, if any love triangle needs to be resolved with a threesome, it's this one. Just saying.)
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

09/26/2010 page 117
24.0% "Loving this so far. Definitely a good sick read for me."
09/27/2010 page 330
69.0% "Will or Jem? Jem or Will? I love them both so much! Tessa is pretty awesome as well, if a mite too inclined to cower in the corner during fights."

Wendy Darling if any love triangle needs to be resolved with a threesome, it's this one

*gasp* But...you're a genius, I think.

Elena I know, right? They are all three perfect for one another, and no pairing of just two of them feels whole to me. :P

Wendy Darling You're right, and this is the best love triangle I've ever read, I think. I don't want anyone to be sad. :( And someone inevitably will be. The teasers that have been posted absolutely kill me.

Elena Teasers? D: Don't tell me! *covers eyes*

Wendy Darling Hah hah. If you change your mind, I posted most of them on my Clockwork Prince review--which is, of course, just a discussion at this point. Someone deleted her account, though, which is why the thread seems a little odd if you're reading it top to bottom.

The problem is, once we get this book...then it's another year before Princess!

Elena The eternal woe of the book lover, alas.

I find that even reading teasers and cookies can spoil my appreciation of the book when I finally get it--reading something for the first time is an important experience for me, and when a book is peppered with bits I already know, it hits me less strongly. I only figured this out recently, reading cookies posted for Sarah Rees Brennan and Karen Healey's most recent books. I'll wait to get the full effect. :)