Lou's Reviews > Ghost Story

Ghost Story by Peter Straub

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: horror, paranormal

A few words i found by Stephen King about this novel
"Probably Ghost Story by Peter Straub is the best of the supernatural novels to be published in the wake of the three books that kicked off a new horror "wave" in the seventies—those three, of course, being Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, and The Other. The fact that these three books, all published within five years of each other, enjoyed such wide popularity, helped to convince (or reconvince) publishers that horror fiction had a commercial potential much wider than the readership of such defunct magazines as Weird Tales and Unknown or the paperback reissues of Arkham House books.* ”

This was a real haunting good read, the story drives you crazy in places with characters perceptions of reality being played with by the supernatural.This is my first Straub novel and he writes a plot well and makes you feel you are there amidst the snow filled town slowly falling apart day by day.The story paces well and does not let down, the tale was reminiscent of Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.
The review is @ more2read also with a video2watch interview with Peter Straub.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Story.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Will (new)

Will Byrnes This is one of my all time favorite horror novels. I read several more, including some of those he co-wrote with SK, but this remains, for me, his best.

Nice payload on the concentrated release of good scary.

message 2: by Lea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lea I agree with Will! Love this book!

message 3: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Was a good story need to re-read it.

message 4: by Bethica (new)

Bethica This isn't released on Kindle yet! Grr I hate that. I'll have to remember to try it out whenever it reaches the e-book format.

message 5: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Bethica wrote: "This isn't released on Kindle yet! Grr I hate that. I'll have to remember to try it out whenever it reaches the e-book format."

Try shopping for a paperback. Thanks for the like

message 6: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason bethica.. i have it on ebook.. so it should be out

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Soukup It's available for loan at my public county library through the app Overdrive Media Console which lets you use your library card to loan out ebooks or audio books for up to 21 days.