Julie's Reviews > Flower of Life, Volume 1

Flower of Life, Volume 1 by Fumi Yoshinaga

May 08, 10

bookshelves: manga, japan, gender, school
Read in May, 2010

I didn't really know what I was jumping into when I started to read this. I chose it because it was written by Fumi Yoshinaga, who did Ooku (which won the Tiptree), and because I could borrow it through ILL. I guess I expected some interesting gender stuff, and I did get that.

So far, this series is about a new kid in high school. He's a year older than everyone else because he had leukemia. He has some weird teachers and some weird classmates. He joins the manga club, knowing not very much about how to draw manga. Except that he does, because he's very very good. He just doesn't know all the things like what tools to use and techniques and things.

At the very beginning, I had a little trouble understanding what was going on and who the characters were, but as I got into it, it was easier to understand. I will definitely read the next two volumes to see where the story is going. Especially as I have them right here already.

One thing I just realized is that there were no endnotes to explain some of the Japanese words or culture things. I really appreciate them when they're included. I only have a vague sense of what 'moeh' is, for example, and it would've been nice for the translator to tell me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flower of Life, Volume 1.