Julie's Reviews > Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer

Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer by Van Jensen

May 08, 10

bookshelves: graphic-novel, fantasy, vampires
Read in May, 2010

So, this is a graphic novel that picks up Pinocchio's story.. well, not quite where it left off, because he's still a puppet, and continues the story, with him fighting vampires.

This is much better than Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It's more like fanfic. Well, it is fanfic. The vampires aren't shoe-horned in to the original text, which is really just silly. They took the story and characters and made their own story and twisted the characters. Like you're supposed to!

The first thing they do is give you a little summary of the real Pinocchio, assuming most of the audience has been brainwashed by Disney and other versions. And this summary is good, and really funny. (I just told a version of the story of Pinocchio in my ASL class, so I was at the point of being familiar and annoyed by the thing, and ready to listen to someone mock it.)

Unfortunately, the summary was the best part. The story itself was only mildly, mildly amusing. Pinocchio goes around telling lies to make his nose grow, then snapping off the new nose so he can stab vampires with it.

Vampires killed Gepetto, so he wants revenge. He and Cherry, the furniture-making guy who originally had his block of wood before Gepetto got ahold of it, as well as the Blue Fairy and the dead cricket, they all fight these vampires. Meanwhile, none of the rest of the villagers believe Pinocchio when he tries to tell them about the existence of the vampires.

And, well, there you go. The plot's not particularly original. The action is mostly stabbing vampires. I couldn't really like any of the characters. Well, okay, I liked Pinocchio a little. And it wasn't as humorous as the summary in the beginning promised it would be.

But all in all, it was better than I expected, honestly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer.