Blake Charlton's Reviews > The Demon Under the Microscope: From Battlefield Hospitals to Nazi Labs, One Doctor's Heroic Search for the World's First Miracle Drug

The Demon Under the Microscope by Thomas Hager

Jun 03, 10

Read from May 07 to June 03, 2010

One of the best examples of clear, compelling scientific writing I've ever come across. Though I've studied organic chemistry and medical science for years, I never knew the amazing impact of sulfa--ranging from transformation of the medical profession, to the great influence it had on the way WWII was fought, to the creation of the FDA. Anyone interested in good science or historical writing really should pick this one up. For those interested in medicine, pharmacology, and infectious disease, this book is mandatory reading!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon Under the Microscope.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathy I heartily agree! This is a wonderful book and would be helpful to every student in health related fields.

Blake Charlton amazing huh? shocked i hadn't heard of it until now. most esp surprised by how profoundly sulfa changed the way WWII was fought as compared to WWI.it makes perfect sense, but none of the other 10^6 books/documentaries about WWII that I've come across ever mention it.