Angie's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Jun 10, 10

bookshelves: fiction, romance
Read from May 07 to June 10, 2010

This was an interesting one time read, and I'm glad to have experienced the parody, but the Ninja theme did get old pretty quickly, and I'm sure that the more dedicated Austen fans will probably regard the tampering of this novel as a sacrilege. "P&P&Zombies" definiately only makes sense if you've read the original. Otherwise, it's just not that funny because you don't know what's being spoofed. I liked how the conversations in the original were adapted for the parody, for example - there is the scene where Lady Catherine is talking to Elizabeth about ninjas instead of nannies. And Charlotte's story line actually makes more sense with her becoming a zombie...why else would she have married Mr. Collins? It also highlights Mr. Collins inability to see Charlotte as anything more than the required wife.
I would also like to say that the reader discussion guide makes this book worth reading- I laughed out loud several times over the questions at the end. "Is Mr. Collins merely too fat and stupid to notice his wife's gradual transformation into a zombie...? Some critics have suggested that the zombies represent the authors' views toward marriage—an endless curse that sucks the life out you and just won't die. Do you agree, or do you have another opinion about the symbolism of the unmentionables? Does Mrs. Bennet have a single redeeming quality? And so on..."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

05/07/2010 page 67