Pam's Reviews > Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World

Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder

May 20, 10

bookshelves: biography, ethics, fiction, non-fiction
Read from May 07 to 18, 2010

I was enjoying this book, but don't know if I'll every finish it. It's written in a likable style and is on an interesting subject matter. Well, that's part of the problem. I am interested in Haiti, and want to learn more, but I'm NOT particularly interested in how Paul Farmer is a demi-god and every detail about the wonder that is him. I think it's great that he's so gifted and dedicated, but I feel like I'm being set up. And I feel like such books are a disincentive for the rest of us to do what we can. If you're not a saint, like this guy, what's the point? go back to watching TV.

I did finish it, it's worth a read. A little draggy in some places if you're not inclined to policy wonkishness, and a little heavy on the hero worship, but also makes some good connections and tells a good story, if you can get past all that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mountains Beyond Mountains.

05/14/2010 page 60