KidsFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > Eye of the Crow

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, series
Read in April, 2014

TCL CALL #: J PEACOCK

Young misfit, Sherlock Holmes, frequently skips school to wander the streets, observing those around him and reading about local crimes. Holmes become infatuated with the murder of an actress and can’t keep away, despite the fact that he promised his parents he would reform and go back to school. Unfortunately the boy’s activity at the murder scene is observed and he finds himself implicated in assisting with the act. He manages to break out of jail (with some aid) and begins with even greater gusto to solve the mystery, clear his name, and save an accused innocent.
Before reading too much into my rating, I must introduce that I have a bias against present tense. It is harder for me to enjoy and feels awkward to me. So what did I like and dislike?
Pros: 1. the author has done his research (while Holmes does not mirror his adult form, it is easy to conceive how this child could become the Great Sherlock Holmes), it also felt like a real Sherlock Holmes story; 2. Plenty of detail (conversely sometimes too much); 3. Seems to properly reflect prejudice of the time and note that “good guys” can be hurt/killed too.
Cons: 1. First person present tense was awkward to read; 2. Moments of slowness
Overall, the book didn’t elicit the need to continue the series (as did the series by Andrew Lane, starting with Death Cloud), but as a librarian I have TONS of books on my to-read list. Good for Sherlock enthusiasts and those who like mysteries set in a roughly Victorian era.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eye of the Crow.

08/05/2014 marked as: read