Kolleen's Reviews > My Tiki Girl

2195113
May 15, 10

bookshelves: strange-but-good, young-adult
Read from May 07 to 15, 2010

Jennifer McMahon is one of my favorite authors. I have read all of her books so far, and 3 1/2 stars would have been a better rating for this book. All of her books are eccentric, bizarre, strange, and slightly twisted, which I think is the main reason I like them. I always feel like I'm in some sort of perverted circus world a little bit when I read them (Is that weird?). And this one was no different, however I feel that her first attempt at a young adult novel was a little bit too provocative for any young adult I know!

This story is about Maggie, a girl who lost her mother in a car accident and is left as an outcast because of the injuries she sustained in them. She gravitates towards the new girl at school, who is also dark and unique like her, and they develop a lesbian relationship, complete with stripteases and descriptive sex scences that seem mildly inappropriate for most teens. In any event, the novel turns out to be pretty good, sending a message of how important it is for teens to feel like the belong and to find someone that loves them, no matter what form that love may take.

I guess McMahon came from a good place in trying to make homosexuality be okay amongst teens, and it depicts the discrimination that comes with being gay, especially so early in life. Come to think of it, McMahon's novels have a little bit of lesbianism in them all around. Is she gay herself? (And I am asking this literally, not to pick fun). Anyways, a pretty good book depicting the difficulties of teenage life and finding your identity. I have her newest novel on my shelf right now and ready to read.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Tiki Girl.