Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > Marked

Marked by Elisabeth Naughton

2043222
May 07, 2010

Read on May 07, 2010

Wow, talk about an unexpected 5 star book! A friend let me borrow this book and it isn't quite as thick as "Bad Moon Rising," so I grabbed it for a quick read. This one caught me up almost immediately. In fact, the book blurb doesn't really do it justice.

Theron is a descendant of Hercules, not immortal but long-lived...about 500-700 years or so. He bumps into Casey in a strip club. Literally. He bumps her while she's serving some jerk frat-boys drinks. She feels a tingly feeling, he looks at her as if he knows her, but can't quite place her, then he walks away. To a gorgeous petite blonde. He scoops the blonde up and carries her out. I loved the description. "He pulled her close as if she were made of glass and seconds later swept her up into his arms and whisked her out the back door of the club, straight out of a scene from An Officer and a Gentleman. Only this guy was ten times bigger and a million times hotter than Richard Gere ever was."

Casey (Acacia Simopolous) is running her late grandmother's bookstore and working nights as a waitress at a strip club while trying to figure out what to do with her life. She takes off early after watching Theron leave with the blonde (Isadora). On her way out, she sees him being mauled by...things...and tries to help.

Theron uses his jedi-mind tricks to convince Casey he was hit by a car, and to take him home to heal him. He'd sent his fiancee Isadora home and used up his powers, so he can't self-heal. The daemons had taken one look at Casey and poofed back to Tartarus. He thinks she's just a human, and is annoyed at his reaction to her. He has her help mend his gashes and he sleeps at her house. The next night, they are all over each other until he sees a mark on her lower back. it's a birthmark according to Casey...but to Theron it (he hopes) is a tattoo. If it's a birthmark, she'd be an Argolean...he's an Argonaut, a guardian of the Argoleans. So he freaks and leaves her.

Turns out Casey is King Leonides' daughter...half-human, half-Argolean. And Isadora is her sister. Oh, and she might be Theron's soul-mate. Oh and she has to die to heal Isadora. Oh by dying she saves the whole Aroglean race. No pressure or anything. But none of the Argoleans know that there are half-breeds out there. Turns out there are thousands of them, who are fighting the daemons, struggling to live, and all without help from the Argonauts. Theron swears to help them, but still has to take Casey,his soul-mate, back to the king to save Isadora, his fiancee. Neither Isadora nor Theron are in love with each other, so I didn't have to feel guilty about liking Isadora but still wanting Theron to get with Casey.

Isadora goes to Hades and Persephone (talk about a kinky relationship) and tries to bargain for her and her sister's lives. Hades and Persephone do something to Isadora, we don't know what-but I think BDSM kind of stuff- and she is never the same. Then Hades convinces Casey to die for her people and lets her know that Theron is engaged to the woman she has to die for. Oops. I won't spoil the cool ending, but it was definitely a quick fun read. Imagine Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunters meets Shannon K. Butcher's Sentinels.

My only advice on this book, is to read the glossary at the back of the book first...since it was at the back, I didn't see it til I finished the book. It wouldn't been nice to recognize some of the Greek words.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marked.

05/07/2010 page 89
27.73% "wow, this sure caught me up!"
05/07/2010 page 89
27.73% "It is soo interesting and I really hope it finishes strong, since it's a 5 star book as of now"
05/07/2010 page 259
80.69% "Is it awful that I wish my kids would just GO PLAY so I could finish the rest of the book? gah, I'm a bad mommy"
08/09/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Panichaya (new) - added it

Panichaya LOL. Well, when a good book calls, you have to answer >_<

Melanie Shawl Wow, I can't wait to read it now!

♡Karlyn P♡ Great review! I love this authors rom suspense books. I picked this one up and will be getting to it really soon.

Laura the Highland Hussy It definitely made me want to read the next book in the series

Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews Wow after reading your review i want to go and find this book!!
Sounds awesome!!

Laura the Highland Hussy great! I'm glad. It was really good. I think the next one comes out in a month or 2, so I'll definitely buy it! do you ever visit Kelly's and my website?
www.demonloversbooksandmore.com
I reviewed Marked on that one just this week :)
we give away lots of freebies, and it's a super fun site just to visit :)

Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews Yeah, i am going to see if my library has it :)
cross fingers if they do!!
Yeah i check out your blog all the time!! Its awesome i love visiting it is fun :)
I love reading your reviews :)

Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews My library dosent have it :(

Laura the Highland Hussy :( try paperbackswap.com oh wait...you live in Australia, right? I'm not sure if it goes out of the US I'd send you mine but I borrowed it from a friend

Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews HAha Yeah im in Australia :)
Im hunting for it online to buy :)
thanks so for thinking of me :)

message 11: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Jan 15, 2015 11:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura the Highland Hussy wow! Australia? I bet it's beautiful there.
I'm gonna check out your "read" and "to-read" lists, and get back to ya!

Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews Cool thanks :)
I sent you a msg, Yeah i live on the Gold Coast,Qld it is Lovely here!!
I have always wanted to visit California and Las Vegas now they sound like Awesome places to live :)

Larissa Great review :) I definitely want to pick it up.

Laura the Highland Hussy Thanks Larissa, I hope you like it ;)

message 15: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Great review, Laura, but if I'm being honest, your name alone CRACKED ME UP, and got my attention first!

Laura the Highland Hussy Leslie wrote: "Great review, Laura, but if I'm being honest, your name alone CRACKED ME UP, and got my attention first!"

lol, why thank you :)

message 17: by Gina (new) - added it

Gina Thanks Laura THH, I like both the Sentinels and the Dark Hunters series, so I am definitely going to try this one!

Kristen Johnson Ok They keep talking about half breeds like they were trash and like Argonauts never breed with humans. BUT when they were explaining to Casey about the race they told her about Argoleans breeding and their realm being made to house them. It sounds to me like they were breeding with humans and thats how their race came about. ??????

Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books It only gets better from here. Great review!

Laura the Highland Hussy Kristen wrote: "Ok They keep talking about half breeds like they were trash and like Argonauts never breed with humans. BUT when they were explaining to Casey about the race they told her about Argoleans breeding..."

Kristen, I think you're right-it's been a few years since I've read this, but if I recall correctly, this is addressed in later books.

Like Heather said, it only gets better from here!

Laura the Highland Hussy Heather wrote: "It only gets better from here. Great review!"

Thanks! :)