Cathie's Reviews > The Clouds Beneath the Sun

The Clouds Beneath the Sun by Mackenzie Ford

F 50x66
May 07, 2010

Read from June 01 to 10, 2010

This was a very exciting and moving read. I won this book on Goodread's First Reads Giveaways and it was an uncorrected proof that I received which contained many errors which I hope will be corrected by the time it is published. The errors, however, did not stop my enjoyment of this novel. Many sincere thanks to Doubleday for providing this Advance Reading Copy due to be published on or about 7/27/10.

This is a story about a young English woman, trained as an archaeologist at Cambridge University, who travels to Kenya to be part of a dig in a gorge near Nairobi and escape from a failed relationship. In the beginning of her adventures in Kenya, the dig is immersed in controversy involving local Masai people and murder. It is set in 1961 before Kenya's independence (December 1963). It includes a tragic love affair as well as the beauty of the Kenya setting and tensions of looming social upheaval between whites and blacks. An unforgettable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clouds Beneath the Sun.