Tasha's Reviews > Mom Still Likes You Best: The Unfinished Business Between Siblings

Mom Still Likes You Best by Jane Isay

May 19, 10

bookshelves: first-reads-novels
Read from May 14 to 19, 2010

I was really looking forward to this book and was quite disappointed. While this short book acts as a study on sibling relationships it reads more like a longer article rather then published advice book. Based on the description I was expecting an advice book not a general study.

Isay has great insight into the sibling relationship but did not take her work to the level I would have liked to have seen. Instead she summarizes all of her interviewee's stories. I felt it would have been more interesting had she set up each story with a quick intro by including its relevancy to her points and then inserting the sibling story in their own words. Instead Isay summarized each interview saying say "Rebbecca told me that...then she stated..." This format lacked in its overall appeal and did not engage me as a reader.

While I feel there is some great insight into siblings relationships it does not allow the reader to connect and be a part of the book. Isay keeps the reader at arms length and does not fully engage her audience in her findings. Instead of making the book into an advice book on how to better interact with your sibling the reader is left with a long report on different types/forms of sibling relationships.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mom Still Likes You Best.

05/14/2010 page 50