Kate's Reviews > The Clouds Beneath the Sun: A Novel

The Clouds Beneath the Sun by Mackenzie Ford

Jun 07, 10

disclaimer: I received this book free from the publisher through goodreads first reads contest.

This book was a very enjoyable read. Fascinating imagery of Africa and lots of information about the discoveries made there about early man. The story had a lot of potential, but I am left wanting at the mysteries left to us. I felt the story dragged on longer than was necessary, and as a reader I was subjected to long stretches of nothing happening and the story not advancing, interspersed with very interesting pieces of plot. The author gets very repetitive and I almost felt beat over the head with this repetition....yes, I get that the main character isn't an alcoholic just because she likes a nip of whiskey.....yada, yada, yada. I also felt that the characters conversations turned into history lessons when the character had no reason to be saying those things. It was a poor attempt at letting the reader understand the time period (1962 in Kenya). Such a great premise, just poorly executed.

I didn't realize that the characters were based on factual characters until the end. That made this book even more enjoyable for me. If not more sad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clouds Beneath the Sun.