Mary M's Reviews > Tested: One American School Struggles to Make the Grade

Tested by Linda Perlstein

Aug 01, 11

An Annapolis elementary school whose student body is largely made up of underprivileged blacks and Hispanics strives to keep up with the stringencies and contingencies of No Child Left Behind. Perlstein wrote for many years about education for The Washington Post and has produced a fairly riveting in-the-trenches account.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tested.

message 1: by Reese (new)

Reese I'm looking forward to seeing your rating/assessment of this book.

message 2: by Mary M (new) - added it

Mary M Thanks, Reese. It feels good to get feedback. If I hadn't been busier'n a one-legged man in a butt-kickin' contest for the past few months, I'd be giving more of it, myself. My heart's intention, anyway. You're a teacher, aren't you? At the college level, I've gathered.

message 3: by Reese (new)

Reese Mary,

I don't think that I've ever seen or heard the "busier'n a one-legged man. . ." expression. It provides a clear and interesting picture of your situation.

I have spent quite a few years at the front of the classroom though there have been holes in my teaching career. I've taught at a university, a public community college, a private college for women and "subbed" in the public secondary schools. I recently chose to give up a position as an adjunct instructor in order to help take care of my brother while he was dying. Will I return to teaching? I honestly don't know.