Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories

The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter

May 07, 10

bookshelves: horror

Another book moved to the top of the list because it's a library book...small little volume.

A strange little book. Most people know that the fairy tales we tell and read our children are milder versions of somewhat more....frightening morality tales that were apparently designed to frighten children into behaving. Don't go into the woods, you'll get killed or die. Don't talk to strangers, they'll kill you. These stories are not "retellings" of the originals, but reworkings of the tales into more "R" rated versions. While they on the whole aren't my cup of tea they are somewhat imaginative. I've run across a couple of stories elsewhere that remind me of these, or possibly I may have run on the stories elsewhere...

For example, The Lady of the House of Love (very loosely based on Sleeping Beauty, and I do mean very loosely) seemed very familiar and the end was the one I remembered. Had I read the story before or had I run on a story the used the same device? I'm not sure.

The Company of Wolves was the basis for a 1984 movie.

I'd say you need to decide for yourself if you like these. It's not that they aren't well written, they are. They just aren't the kind of story I care for. 3 stars I suppose, really to well done to take down to 2...interesting and well written, but not a book I'll follow up.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories.