Christina's Reviews > Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

May 12, 10

bookshelves: read-books-2010
Read from May 06 to 12, 2010

So...what to say about this book. I should preface everything by saying that I'm not a runner, not even a former runner laid up by injury, so some of the exhilaration the author describes from running ultramarathons sounds completely foreign to me. With that said, McDougall assembles a winning cast of characters to tell his story that ultrarunning is something that all humans are built to do. All of us, not certain genetically-blessed freaks. He almost - ALMOST - makes me want to lace up some cheap sneaks (not by Nike, because they are the villains of this story) and go out running.

But. For all the positive points of this novel, the author's voice was like a constant elbow in my ribs. He adopts this breathless, can-you-believe-this!! tone that after a while just grated on me. It would be pointless to give examples because none of them sound bad taken in isolation; after about 100 or 200 pages, though, the author was like the nice guy at the party who gets drunk, gets you in a corner, and starts yelling stories at you.

It's not him, though, it's me. The drunk guy at a party can still be a good guy. An this is still a good book. If it gets me off my sofa then it was worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Run.

05/09/2010 page 168