Megan's Reviews > Angel

Angel by James Patterson

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: love-triangle, let-down, needs-more-attention, ya
Read in March, 2011

A lot of people complain that this book was way too short and that it was basically just a filler for us while James Patterson writes the final book. I agree. But even though there wasn't a lot going on, I still enjoyed it. Though, compared with books 1-3, Angel can't even compete.

Boy have things changed since The Angel Experiment. I remember the days when it was just the six of them. Max, Iggy, Nudge, Fang, Angel, and Gazzy. No Drama. Not too much romance. A strong, emotionally stable leader who had a comeback for everything. Why, WHY did James Patterson have go mainstream? I never asked for a love triangle. I never asked for a book named Nevermore. And I certainly never asked for Dylan!

Patterson has all these great ideas (Erasers, Dr. Chu, other hybrids, Psycho government. Heck, the idea of The School was what got me interested in the series in the first place. Where did that idea run off to? What about the original plan, finding our who their parents were? If JP ever answered that, he skimmed over it very quickly.) All these ideas were amazing and original. But he threw them all away and decided to focus on the love triangle.

Now I don't hate love triangles. In fact, my favorite series, The Infernal Devices, is focused around one. But what I do hate is when the main girl changes who she is because of the love triangle situation. When I picked up Maximum Ride I did not expect Max to turn into a Bella by the end of the series. And it makes me very sad to compare Max to her (Don't hate me Twilight fans. I DO like Twilight,just not Bella.)

Max isn't the only one who has changed. Fang has completely changed. He used to be so quiet, confident, strong, not annoying, and loyal. And now, the first words I would use to describe him are: Arrogant, Irritating, fickle, and clueless. I realize that over time he has to adapt to his circumstances but now, he's a completely different character.

I hope that in the last book, James Patterson will bring the series back to it's roots and incorporate some of the ideas that made me fall in love with these books in the first place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel.

Quotes Megan Liked

James Patterson
“Some kids get called 'bundles of joy' or 'slices of heaven' or 'dreams come true.' We got 'the fifty-fourth generation of DNA experiments.' Doesn't have the same warm and fuzzy feel. But maybe I'm oversensitive.”

James Patterson
“Listen, street punk. You're a guy, and you're a couple inches taller, and maybe forty pounds heavier, and ooh, you're in a gang. But I've survived ten years of Catholic school, and I will cut you off at your knees without a blink. Do you understand?”

James Patterson
“How could you stop loving me?”

James Patterson
“I RAISED AN EYEBROW AT HIM, AND HE STUCK OUT HIS TONGUE AND CROSSED HIS EYES WHEN JOSH TURNED AWAY FROM US TO GET THE FLYERS. IT WAS SUCH A DORKY MOVE THAT I SHOULD HAVE FELT SORRY FOR HIM, BUT IT WAS GENUINELY...CUTE”
tags: dylan, max

Sara Love the review! I agree 100% all the way.

Alex Mortensen Yeah...I still don't feel like I got my rant out all the way though....