DubaiReader's Reviews > The Ice Age

May 07, 10

bookshelves: vine, 2010, young-adult
Read in May, 2010

Edgy, punkish.

I really enjoyed this book. It was crisp and edgy, perfect for the characters who traverse the United States in a rather haphazzard road trip.

The story is told from the point of view of a feisty 17yr old (goodness, I don't think we are ever told her name!), who hitches a ride with blonde, much older, Gunther. He seems to be travelling randomly across the country with occasional visits to old friends as his only destinations. Together they drive, eat, and sleep, day upon day - and as they do, so their relationship develops. The sexual tension is palpable at times but he is very aware of the age difference and does his best to repect her innocence. She, meanwhile, is drawn to Gunther and is determined to lose her innocence to make herself more appealing.
The novel is entierly character driven but the characters were fascinating and the pages kept turning. There were no chapters, which normally annoys me, yet seemed totally appropriate here.

A brilliant read for older teens (be warned: There are some rather blatant sex scenes) and adults.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ice Age.