Nikki's Reviews > Dead to the World

Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

May 08, 10

bookshelves: 2010, mystery, supernatural
Read from May 06 to 08, 2010

I thought book four was a great look into the real Eric Northman.

Don't get me wrong now, being bitchy, cocky, and self obsessed is what makes Eric so awesome and is why I truly love the character. He is, oddly, a lot of fun. However, is that attitude not the biggest front you have ever seen? Eric is implied to be thousands of years old and, as far as vampire society goes, is a political figure. As they made a point in reminding us as much as possible in this book, everyone looks to Eric for everything. He is the boss, he has the answers. That's a lot of pressure and a massive reputation to have to build and maintain.

So, how exactly would the mighty vampire Eric behave if he didn't remember that he's supposed to be the biggest, baddest, sexiest mofo around? Well, a lot like Eric, only nicer. He still loves sex. He is still fairly blunt. He still has some anger management issues. But, without all the stress and pressure, he's much more laid back. With nowhere to go, nothing to do, and no one coming to him for answers, Eric is content just to be. He can even see the joy in living a mundane life with a normal job and a regular human type marriage with a human type wife. His unease and nervousness over the frustrating situation of not being able to remember who he is was made him like a lost puppy and even shows us that he too feels fear.

The only thing wrong with the book was it was a little slow. The point seemed to be the change in Sookie and Eric's relationship. Despite Eric being unable to remember any of it, Sookie's whole view of Eric is forever changed. The rest of the book's goings on, Jason's disappearance and the war with the witches, sort of felt like filler most of the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead to the World.