Zakiya the Walking Butterfly's Reviews > The Angel Experiment

The Angel Experiment by James Patterson

Jun 24, 10

bookshelves: 2010-books, adventure, borrowing-or-library, ftlor, atbynr, may-2010, young-adult, shape-shifters, fantasy, absolute-favorites, june-2010, science-fiction, own, mystery, re-read, to-be-re-read
Recommended to Zakiya by: BFF from school
Recommended for: Fantasy lovers
Read from May 10 to June 19, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: twice

The Angel Experiment (The Fugitives, #1; Maximum Ride, #1)
By James Patterson
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company, 2005
422 pages
Read: 6/19/2010
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult, Science Fiction, Adventure, Action, Coming of Age

First Line of Book: "Congratulations. The fact that you're reading this means you've taken one giant step closer to surviving till your next birthday."

Review: The Angel Experiment was a reread for me, as I'd only read it a month before. This series debut was very intriguing. The characters were different--besides the fact that they were teenage mutants--and we got to see from the whole flock's perspective. It was a little choppy, though, as the book's chapters are so short and didn't include a lot of information.

The book starts off sort of fast-paced: Max explains everything as she goes along with the story, so you have to keep up with everything or you get lost in the midst of action. The flock's youngest member has been kidnapped by Erasers--half men, half wolves; also mutants--and taken somewhere that none of them ever wished to see again. Now, Max and her family set out to rescue their beloved sibling, getting beat up, captured, and chased by evil, infamous Erasers along the way. Max is having head troubles, and starts thinking she's going to be the first to die. And Angel discovers some mysterious powers of her own. But, in the end, all is well with the flock, and they set out to find the one thing they all have wondered about--their parents.

This book was absolutely amazing. Let's compare the wonderful book hypothetically: I'm on the road, looking for a rest stop. These motel owners get me interested in their place. I stop and stay the night. Automatically, they have me loving the place, with all their hospitality and politeness, giving me everything I need and want without thinking twice about it. Defined, fascinating, and a great price.

Rating: I rate The Angel Experiment (aka, the motel) 5 kisses!

Quotes from the Book:

"He'd been the Gasman ever since he was a baby. What can I say? The child has something funky with his digestive system."

"Fang is not the huggiest person in the world--he turns into an unbending statue, and you just have to do the best you can."

"In the dictionary, next to the word stress, there is a picture of a midsize mutant stuck inside a dog crate, wondering if her destiny is to be killed or to save the world. Okay, not really. But there should be."

"I clamped my lips together so I wouldn't answer it. When I wanted information, it was silent; when I didn't want to hear from it, it got chatty. It was almost as irritating as Fang."

" 'We're in the Institute,' I said.
'Uhm, is that a good thing?' asked Gazzy.
'Holy [insert a swear word of your choice here:],' Fang said, stunned.
'No kidding,' I said."

" 'You really hurt me. I wouldn't hurt you. Not like this.' " Ari
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel Experiment.

Quotes Zakiya Liked

James Patterson
“Yes!” said Fang, punching the air. “Freaks rule.”

James Patterson
“I feel like, like pudding," Iggy groaned. "Pudding with nerve endings. Pudding in great pain.”

James Patterson
“Man, you weigh a freaking ton," he told me. "What've you been eating, rocks?"
"Why, is your head missing some?" I croaked. His mouth almost quirked in a smile, and that's when I knew how upset he'd been”

James Patterson
“Popcorn for breakfast! Why not? It's a grain. It's like, like, grits, but with high self-esteem.”

James Patterson
“The funny thing about facing imminent death is that it really snaps everything else into perspective.”

James Patterson
“Dr. Martinez: "I take it you don't want me to call your parent?"
Max: "Uh, no." Hello, lab? May I speak to the test tube please?”

James Patterson
“In the dictionary, next to the word stress, there is a picture of a midsize mutant stuck inside a dog crate, wondering if her destiny is to be killed or to save the world. Okay, not really. But there should be.”

James Patterson
“Gazzy: "What does that mean?" (points to metal plaque warning to stay off the third rail that said Stay off the third rail!)
Fang: "It means the third rail has seven hundred volts of direct current running through it. Touch it and you're human popcorn.”

James Patterson
“Because what’s worse than knowing you want something, besides knowing you can never have it?”

James Patterson
“I didn't know a van could go up on two wheels like that, for so long." -Nudge”

James Patterson
“Max!' Nudge cried, rushing over to hug me. Her thin arms gripped me tight, and I hugged her back, scratching her wings where they joined her shoulders, the way she liked. 'We were so worried—I didn’t know what had happened to you, and we didn’t know what to do, and Fang said we going to eat rats, and—'
'Okay, okay. Everything’s okay,' I told her. I met Fang’s eyes over her shoulder and mouthed rats? silently. A flicker of a grin crossed his lips and then was gone.”

James Patterson
“I took a bite of cookie and chewed. “Hmmm,” I said, trying not to spit crumbs. “Clear vanilla notes, too-sweet chocolate chips, distinct flavor of brown sugar. A decent cookie, not spectacular. Still, a good-hearted cookie, not pretentious.” I turned to Fang. “What say you?”
“It’s fine.”
Some people just don’t have what it takes to appreciate a cookie.”

James Patterson
“Holy [Insert your choice of a swear word here]," said Fang stunned.”

05/12/2010 page 107
05/14/2010 page 347
82.23% "Part 6: Who's Your Daddy, Who's Your Momma?; chapter 110."
06/15/2010 page 53
13.0% "Chapter 16."
06/16/2010 page 157
37.0% "Starting Part 3: "School--What Could Be Sacrier Than That?"" 1 comment
06/16/2010 page 205
49.0% "This book is even better than it was the first time!! 8)"
06/19/2010 page 345
82.0% "Just about 70 more pages and I will have finished this book again!! :)"
show 6 hidden updates…