Mahlet's Reviews > Mexican Heat

Mexican Heat by Laura Baumbach

Jun 15, 10

bookshelves: own, thriller-mystery-suspense, erotic-romance, mm, favorites
Read in June, 2010

Oh, how I loved this one! When is book 2 coming out? Mexican Heat is broken up into 2 parts. In Part 1, Gabriel Sandalini, a sexy, fiesty and capable SFPD Detective, has been working undercover for over a year for West Coast drug distributor Ricco Botelli. Gabriel is basically working alone, and in my opinion, he’s a little in over his head! Botelli is about to partner with a major supplier from the Mexico supply line. A drug bust involving one of the Mexican supply lines would not only be the bust of Gabriel’s career, but would be one to go down into the books.

Gabriel didn’t have a great childhood, and he’s pretty much a loner, into only one-time, no-repeat, hot sex with strangers. He doesn’t like to get involved in the touchy feely – and he does NOT do relationships. Also, Gabriel has a tendency to want bigger, stronger dominating men. He wants his lovers to make him submit….I mean, he literally wiggles and struggles like a trapped cat ;) And don’t you dare make Gabriel actually look at you while you have him – none of that face to face. And don’t you dare make him say he wants it~ So of course, he meets a gorgeous dominating lover who does just that :D As the first pages of this story unfold, Gabriel is scoping out a club connected to the drug cartel. He eyes a mysterious, tall, dark & gorgeous Spanish man on the dance floor. Later that night, Mr. Mysterious catches Gabriel snooping in an upstairs office, pins him to the desk, and begins to explore without Gabriel’s permission…but by the end of this office encounter, Mr. Mysterious has made Gabriel do everything I just described above that he supposedly hates ;) And JEEEEZZ was it smokin’ hawt!! But when it’s over, despite Mr. Mysterious’ attempt to see him again, no names are exchanged and Gabriel crumbles his phone number right in front of him. The chemistry between these guys was off the charts!

Shortly thereafter, Gabriel reports to Botelli’s headquarters for their “big first meeting” with the Mexican supplier, and he’s shocked to discover that Mr. Mysterious is actually Miguel, the Mexican supplier’s ice smooth, 2nd in command, Lieutenant. Of course, they pretend to not know each other, but the situation gets awkward, tense and hot, especially when both bosses suggest that Gabriel and Miguel take a trip to Mexico to see the manufacturing first-hand. This is where you learn about “Mexican Heat” - *deep breath!* And yes, as some previous reviewer commented, it involves doing strategically placed potent body shots.

I just loved this couple! I swooned whenver Miguel referred to Gabriel as his “gatito” (Spanish for kitten). Oh, the tension between these 2 – Miguel wanting more, and Gabriel’s resistence, is my favorite kind of romance. But it’s not just hot lovin’ here: Gabriel’s not sure if people are trying to kill him because Botelli’s daughter wants to sleep with him, or because his cover is perhaps blown. He’s starting to fall for Miguel, one of the freakin’ leaders in the organization he’s trying to bring down – so there’s mystery, adventure, and heat<--not just from the Mexican jungles. Part 1 comes to a very explosive, exciting finish with unexpected ramifications for Gabriel and Miguel. Things aren’t what they seem and not everyone comes out unscathed. I’m not discussing Part 2 – I don’t want to reveal any more. This book was just awesome and I’m happy to hear the series will continue, but I’m disappointed to learn authors Laura Baumbach and Josh Lanyon are no longer continuing their partnership. Even so, sign me up for Book 2!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mexican Heat.

05/06/2010 page 1
0.41% "A total genre switch is the only thing I can think of to pull me out of my “Lover Mine is over” funk! Let the hot latino man-love commen"
05/06/2010 page 17
7.02% ""Spanish. Not Mexicano. Not Americano. You are conquered by a true son of Spain" "Like I give a shit." Gabriel gasped.."Just f**k me blind""
05/10/2010 page 134
55.37% "I picked this up at RT 2010 after hunting down Laura Baumbach's table (she's sweet btw). Enjoying this story! :) Is Gabriel's cover blown?"
05/24/2010 page 233
96.28% "So sad to be finished – Antonio Lopez just stole my heart! Can I be his “gatito”?? Loved the story broken into 2 parts. So well done :) Big unexpected turn of events for the reader. Can’t wait for book 2!" 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review for a great book!

Mahlet Thanks Eyre! And didn’t you just love Miguel? *wink* and if he ever needs another gatito, and somehow develops a need for girlly bits - I’m so there!! As I read, I always imagined Miguel saying “gatito” very slowly and sensually with a Spanish lilt.

ElaineY I've been tempted many times to reread this but the thought that there may not be a sequel till God-knows-when put me off. MH is one of my all-time favs but the continuation of this Crime & Cocktail series may not eventuate, at least, not from Ms Baumbach's replies to my queries.

I hope she finds someone to replace Lanyon and finds time to work on this series but at the moment, things don't look promising:(

Mahlet Elaine - that's such a shame :(

Did you ever find their short story, "South of the Border?"

ElaineY Mahlet, if I'm not mistaken, South of the Border was a short story that became Mexican Heat. That's what I read when I was so intrigued with MH and wanted to know the ending and who was whom that I searched all over the net.

Now you've made decide I have to reread this and not worry about a sequel. Hey, Josh Lanyon is on Q&A now so we could ask him what's happening with the sequel (even though he's not collaborating with Baumbach anymore).

Buggy Super review, I'm happy to know this is good, I just ordered it. Thanks Mahlet

Mahlet Elaine - I was away from my computer and missed the chat :( Have fun with the re-read

Buggy - thanks & hope you enjoy it, too ;)