Doug Beatty's Reviews > The Meaning of Matthew: My Son's Murder in Laramie, and a World Transformed

The Meaning of Matthew by Judy Shepard

May 07, 10

bookshelves: true-crime
Read from May 06 to 07, 2010

I had been avoiding reading anything about Matthew Shepard, mainly because I knew the story from the news and it was just heart wrenching, and thought that I probably should stick to lighter fare.

But I decided to read this one and although very sad, it found it to be a good read. Ms. Shepard is able to take the tragedy and use it to find stregnth to educate so that this kind of crime will not happen again.

It was also nice to learn more about Matthew (or Matt, as the family called him) because often we learn of someone as a victim and we are unaware of his character. And he did have hard times and was not perfect, but he had a good character and a close and loyal family.

The book is not terribly long (I was able to finish it in a day and a half) and the chapters are concise and read fluidly. Although I was saddened by the story, Ms. Shepard ended the book with a note of hope, and gave a little bit of info on human rights campaigns and the Matthew Shepard Foundation, letting us know that there is more work to be done, but that there are also organizations that are there to help.

I am glad she had the courage to share her story, even though I am sure it was difficult for her to write.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Meaning of Matthew.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Sloan I also have been avoiding reading anything about Matt because the end of his life was just so fucking tragic and wrong.I will pick up this book though.I am glad that she can write about his life and not focus only on his horrible death.