Tori's Reviews > The Paradise War

The Paradise War by Stephen R. Lawhead

Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: i-own
Read from April 28 to 29, 2012

*This review contains things that are probably spoilers, or at least things that are really close to spoilers, though shouldn't give away anything you don't learn in the first 1/3 of the book... so no major spoilers?*

So, the beginning is way different than the rest of the book. The feeling was different. I liked the first feeling better. Not that the second was bad, it was just really not what I was expecting. But it was a good read and I'm glad I own it and will be happy to dig into the next book really soon.

It was a tad disjointed at times though. A few random characters that are introduced and then not heard from again... And then while you're introduced to the major story arc that's to span the whole trilogy early on in the beginning, it's all but forgotten as the story progressed, (after all, he did spend... 8 or 9 years in this world while putting off saving the world?)

Then there was Simon. I liked Simon in the beginning. But his character was changed sooo much after going into the Otherworld that he wasn't the same person at all. And I guess by the time you saw him it was three years later, but there was no real... realness to why he had become this ruthless, mean person. And I was sad because I thought he would have been fun to read about if he had stayed true to his beginning self. And you don't even see much of his meaner side, he's not in the book that much.

A few other random, little things that I found out of place (Lewis's loyalty to a king he really didn't know, it never explaining how Simon knew so much about Celtic lore in the beginning) but overall a very nice read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paradise War.