Almie's Reviews > The Irresistible Henry House

May 06, 10

bookshelves: kindle-books
Read in May, 2010

** spoiler alert **

The descriptive writing is excellent. The characters, the settings and the detailed movement that brings a book to life drew me into the book. It is evident that a great deal of intricate work went into the creation of this book and the writing shows that. Disappointingly, there is no discernible plot to this book and there is no ending. If it was meant to be a character study and I somehow missed that fact, then….my bad. I apologize for this review. We follow the main character, Henry, through a series of life’s encounters from his infancy, through his rebellious teen years, and until he is a twenty-something young man. We’re thrown into his relationships, basically all with women, many of them sexual. He’s clearly a very lost person having been passed around his entire life, and never feeling that he belonged to anyone because he was a practice baby for young girls in college home economics program. He eventually finds a very successful career in a creative art field, but he feels inhibited by what he feels is a lack of genuine creativity. He moves all over the map from East Coast to West Coast to East Coast to Europe and back, while we are waiting for a plot to develop. He eventually appreciates his birth mother, who left him 3 times. But he never comes full circle and shows any love for the one stable and consistent person in his life; the woman who mothered him and loved him unconditionally and taught him to take care of himself. And in the end he turns to his best childhood friend seeking something more than friendship and the story simply stops. It stops with a confusing mixed message. We don’t know if he sheds a tear because it’s a relationship that will never develop, or if he’s drawing a picture of a house because he will settle down and marry this friend. With so much descriptive detail, this story just rambles. If only it had a well-developed plot, it would have been an excellent read. Instead it left me feeling rather cheated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Irresistible Henry House.