Surreysmum's Reviews > Maker and Craftsman: The Story of Dorothy L. Sayers

Maker and Craftsman by Alzina Stone Dale

May 27, 10

bookshelves: 2010, biography, writers, owned
Read in May, 2010

This biography was not the first to go against Dorothy Sayers' expressed wish not to have a biography written for 50 years after her death; that honour goes to Hitchman's "Such a Strange Lady." But it is an early one, and although Dale appears to have had some co-operation in terms of quotation permissions and access to Sayers' letters, the biography is certainly not the "authorized" (that is Brabazon's). Brabazon himself calls this a "juvenile" biography in his bibliography, but I didn't get the impression that this was so much Sayers for children, as Sayers for Americans (Dale was American). It would explain why there are lengthy explanations of English arcana such as the college system at Oxford. Nonetheless, it is both simpler in tone and shorter than the Brabazon and it lacks the scholarly apparatus of footnotes and bibliography, so perhaps it was in fact aimed at a juvenile audience. There are very pleasant maps of DLS's London (front endpapers) and England (rear endpapers), and a few quite interesting black and white illustrations. I enjoyed reading it, but I expect to get more detail and more insight from Brabazon, and from the more recent biography by Coomes that I now have waiting, especially as regards the circumstances surrounding the birth of Sayers' son (now deceased) and her marriage.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maker and Craftsman.