Edward's Reviews > The World Hitler Never Made: Alternate History and the Memory of Nazism

The World Hitler Never Made by Gavriel D. Rosenfeld
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World Hitler Never Made.

message 1: by Kyra (new)

Kyra I was wondering if you can help me. I have recently been looking through this book and cannot seem to grasp the whole thing. I am begging to write a paper on this book. I am not asking you to write it I just merely am asking for help considering you have read it. If you can help this is what I need to know...
1.)What is the difference between the fantasy and nightmare scenari and how does each refelct political opinion?
2.) Compare and contrast the use of alternate history in two different nations, in what ways are these stories utlized for contemporary political commentary? and finally
3.) Are their dangers in using the Holocaust as a theme for alternate history and if so why?

Anything you can guide me through is much appreciated.

Regards,
Kyra

Edward Uh, well, considering that it's been a good four years since I read the book (for fun, not for any academic program), the help I can offer you is almost certainly limited. That being said:

1. Okay, going by my recollection, the difference is that one sees a Nazi victory as more a hellish, nearly unimaginable dystopia, right? Whereas the other sees it more like any other fantastical alternate future.

2. So, like, for the British Nazi victory stories, how do they attack or subvert the British self-image? In the UK there's the idea that they'd never surrender to the Germans, because they never did, historically. A Nazi victory means this wasn't the case. How do the British alternate histories explain this? For the USA, Nazi victory seems even more fantastical, because we were never directly threatened. So how is the USA portrayed in those scenarios, compared to how the UK is depicted? Do you see the differences, and do they seem indicative of differing national psyches to you?

3. This is a question bound up in a lot of ethical and political considerations, so I can't really help you. A lot of people are made uncomfortable with the commercialization and kitsch-ification of Nazi Germany post-WWII. That might be a starting point.

Good luck.