Jesse's Reviews > Oryx and Crake

M 50x66
May 13, 2010

bookshelves: while-living-in-japan
Read from May 06 to 10, 2010

I think I can firmly say that Margaret Atwood is my favorite author.

I really do love nearly everything I've ever read of her's. Short stories or novels. And Oryx and Crake is right up there and full of some of the reasons I like her.

I really like her speculative fiction. She toes the line with reality and its potential the same way that Orwell did. And this creates something scary because you could see how we could arrive there based on things that are happening today and based on the basics desires of humans and society that have been around and will probably never change.

And after finishing a Faulkner book recently, I that maybe he has some possible influences, especially in some of the narration style by the main character. Strong stream of conscience, but much easier to follow and understand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oryx and Crake.

05/10 page 250
56.43% "Atwood is genius. This book freaks me out. Who says we're not just all going to kill ourselves in some genetic nightmare someday?"
04/14 marked as: read

Sieran Ooh interesting. I love Faulkner as well, and I can see why you feel Atwood's style is like a stream of consciousness but much easier to understand.