Patrick's Reviews > The Sword of Shannara

The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks

M 50x66
Dec 08, 2007

bookshelves: old-favorites
Recommended for: ppl who hate tolkien
Read in September, 1993

Everyone says that you fall into one of two camps: Those who love Tolkien, and philistines. I belong firmly in the latter. It is my firm belief that the man (Tolkien) got paid by the word. Having said that, I thoroughly enjoy Brooks' Shannara series. I have read all of them, own most of the hard covers, and have spirited debates (code for a fight) with my friends about why these books are not carbon rip-offs of Tolkien's works. Great characters, epic stories with fallible heroes, and a world lovingly crafted from the ruins of our own.
46 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sword of Shannara.

01/31 marked as: read

message 1: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Deitz Paid by the word. Ha! THAT would explain it.

message 2: by Jillian (new) - added it

Jillian Finally, someone who agrees with me about Tolkein.

Patrick Jillian Iris wrote: "Finally, someone who agrees with me about Tolkein."

Thanks, each time someone likes this review, my chances of at least having a small gathering of conscientious objectors at my lynching gets a little more probable.

message 4: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris I hate Tolkien for his boring histories taking up so much of the damn story, but the one thing he could do was engage the reader emotionally. This book feels like it is lecturing me with "they go here.. then this happens... but they get out of it OK". It really breaks the whole engrossing feeling that I usually love about reading. I hate Tolkien because he takes too long to actually get to the point, and goes a boring way about doing it. Terry Brooks seems to try to do exactly the same thing, but do it so much worse. I feel like this must have been his first ever novel. I sincerely hope it gets better.

Annie Right!? I read this book long before I read Tolkein. I quit half-way through the last book (two towers?) because I couldn't take it any more. Mind-numbing descriptions of battles, etc. Like Patrick said he had to have been paid by the word.

Annie I love Shannara by the way, I forgot to say that. It was such an easy read compared to tolkein.
And I'm an avid reader and will read just about anything. But I couldn't take Tolkein.