Sue's Reviews > People of the Book

3642045
Feb 06, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, literary-fiction, read-in-2011, bosnia
Read from February 02 to 06, 2011

This is a wonderful story of a magical book, an illuminated manuscript begun in the 15th century and found in Sarajevo after the Bosnian War, a Jewish manuscript rescued by a Muslim librarian who could not bear to see such a treasure be destroyed.

Based on some fact and the author's talented recreation, we see the history of this religious piece over the years as some seek to destroy it and others work to save or embellish it. We move backward in time from the modern time to the Nazi era, to 19th century Europe, to the days of the Inquisition. I found I learned some history here while following the book. For this I thank Ms Brooks. I definitely will have to try others of her books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read People of the Book.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 6: by Teresa (new)

Teresa I haven't read this one, though I really liked her Year of Wonders. I didn't like March as much, but perhaps that's because the copy I read was an 'Advance Uncorrected Proofs.'

I'm only wary of this one because I think I've read too many books through the years that follow an item through different time periods. Perhaps I'll try it one day though.

message 5: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I haven't read many books of this type, so the format didn't bother me. I can see where it might bother others though. I really did appreciate the historical perspective--areas I knew little about.

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Nice review, Sue. I'll get to this book one of these days!

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I think you may well like it Barb.

message 2: by Zanna (new) - added it

Zanna I added this after reading her book 'Year of Wonders' which I loved!

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I haven't read Year of Wonders yet. Eventually (sigh)