Rebecca's Reviews > The Lace Reader

The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry

May 05, 10

bookshelves: drama, family-story, mystery
Read in May, 2010

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this book. I thought the structure was great--really well-balanced between shifting points of view, past and present, the frame of 'The Lace Reader's Guide' book excerpts. I also liked how things and characters were not explained in depth as they appeared; the information just kept popping in like little easter eggs found when you rounded the right corner or asked the right question, and even then you didn't get much of an explanation--you had to wait for things to unfold in their own time.

What I liked less, and this is probably just personal taste, was the unreliable narrator. She tells the reader right off that everything she says is a lie, but to my mind, that just makes it difficult to get into the story because I'm superaware that nothing I hear could be 'real,' and I don't want to get invested in something that will turn out not to be real. The suspicion keeps me hovering at the edge of the story, when what I really want from a story is to dive in and let it close over me. So, well-written book perhaps better for someone else.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lace Reader.