Lou Yonke's Reviews > Out of Captivity: Surviving 1,967 Days in the Colombian Jungle

Out of Captivity by Marc Gonsalves

U_50x66
May 18, 10

Read in February, 2010

I thought I kept up on current events, but somehow I missed the news during the more than FIVE YEARS these three men were held hostage in Colombia. The writing is not great, but that's a bit much to ask for from men who were locked up in the South American jungle for nearly 1,967 days and nights (and who were obviously not trained to be novelists). The story is told in the first person equally by each of the three authors.

What is most amazing to me is that this took place between 2003 and 2008. The ordeal ended less than two years ago!!! And while these men basically had their lives suspended, life continued without them. You might expect their family and friends to be waiting for them when they returned, but five years of no contact can have quite an effect on relationships. And then they came home in July 2008 to learn of a world where everyone had something called an IPOD.

Out of Captivity is another book that taught me how lucky I am to live where I do, and that there are still many places on this earth that are a thousand times worse than the worst places in the U.S. (and one of those places is in Colombia, South America).

Read this book!!! It's an incredible true story of the human spirit overcoming incredible hardship at the hands of other humans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of Captivity.