UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...'s Reviews > Dead After Dark

Dead After Dark by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Note: As I read and review each story, I will update this review and rate each one separately.

The Story of Son - 5 stars - contains some spoilers:

The Story of Son was my introduction into the Black Dagger Brotherhood world a few years ago. After reading Michael and Claire’s story, I had to run out and buy the entire series and it turned out to be my favorite PNR series of all time.

There’s something so compelling about the race of vampires that the WARDen, J.R. Ward, has created. They are incredibly strong males and females, both physically and emotionally, though sometimes it takes awhile for them to find and accept that inner strength.

In the story of Son, we meet Son, a 68 year old male who is half human, half vampire. We learn that he has been imprisoned in the basement of the estate they live on by his mother, Miss Eliza Leeds, since he was 12 years old. Once a year, his mother, has a female brought to the house and held captive for a few days so Son can feed.

Claire Stroughton, Miss Leeds’ family attorney, is the latest “victim” brought to the house to feed Son, then be released like all the other women who have been brought to him over the years. She finds such tenderness, such innocence and such passion in Son that she can’t help but want to rescue him from the heartache and imprisonment he’s endured for so long and spend the rest of her life loving him.

I was so very happy when Claire took the first step toward making him feel like a real person and not just an animal meant to be caged up when she gave him a real name; Michael.

One thing that readers of the BDB series will likely question immediately is Michael being able to survive off of feeding only once a year, when we know the warrior vampires require feeding much more often. There’s no indication that Michael is, or will ever be, a Brother. As I said before, he’s a civilian vampire and a half human one at that. I’ve never seen it addressed anywhere by the WARDen as to how often a half human, civilian vampire needs to feed, so it might be very possible that this isn’t an inconsistency at all.

I’m hopeful that this is a question someone can get an answer to either on her own Message Boards or during a BDB chat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead After Dark.

05/05/2010 page 160
42.9% "The Story of Son. I had forgotten what a great story this is!!!!" 10 comments
05/05/2010 page 178
47.72% "Michael's eyes shifted over to hers. "If he touches you inappropriately, I'm going to bite him. Just so we are clear.""
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rossy Great review, sister mine!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Thank, Rossy!!! I had forgotten what a great read this is. It's like a sweet romance novel version of the BDB. LOVED it!

message 3: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

Carolyn F. I loved that first story too. He was so tortured, absolutely fell in love with Michael.

message 4: by UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... (last edited May 11, 2010 03:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Yep, absolutely, Carolyn!!! I really want him to be brought into the BDB world. I remember a chat with the WARDen and someone suggested maybe through the kids, Gabriella or Luke. Wouldn't a Luke/Nalla hood up be the best?? And Zsadist as a father in law. HA!!!!

Leah Zsadist as a father-in-law? Oh Lord. LOL

Great review, Dhes. I absolutely loved this story :)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Thanks, Leah! Yeah, this was really good and Z as a father in law would be a nightmare! LOL

Leah It would certainly be interesting to see. I can just imagine him with Nalla's prospective hellren. LOL

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I'd pay good money to watch THAT introduction.

Leah Me too. I'll bring the popcorn.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... And I'll bring the Grey Goose!

message 11: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Awesome! By that time I'll even be of legal drinking age. LOL

message 12: by DarienMoya (new)

DarienMoya UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "And I'll bring the Grey Goose!"

Awww Grey Goose, Vishous!!!

message 13: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL. Every time I hear the words Grey Goose or read it, I think of Vishous :)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I know!!!!!!!!! I keep going down the alcohol aisle at Target just to look at the bottle. My kids think I'm crazy. And well... yeah, I am... but still! LOL

message 15: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL! Funny story that. A couple weekends ago, my sister and I were grocery shopping with our grandma and she was basically buying us whatever we wanted. So, Mikaela (my sister) was looking at this bottle on the end aisle shelves to see what it was. I glance up at it and I'm like, "That's Jack Daniel's. Walk away." She was embarrassed. LOL

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... ROFLMAO!!!!!!! That's really funny!!! Honestly, I don't drink, but if the Grey Goose wasn't so expensive, I'd have a bottle on display. I might even build a shrine around it.

message 17: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LMAO!!! That's hilarious. If it wasn't awkward, I would go down the liquor aisle just to see the Grey for my V. LOL

message 18: by UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... (last edited Aug 21, 2010 09:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... That's what I do! I'm in a wheelchair, and it's on the top shelf, so I have to ask my kids to hand the bottle to me. You should see the **eye rolling** I get!

Good thing I'm not obsessed or anything.

Laura the Highland Hussy I had to jump in here...someone my mom worked with was trying to lure my mom out to a surprise party for her bday. Well, my mom goes out and this lady hands my mom a present (a gift card). Well there was no gift card at all, just the cardboard envelope that said "Carrabba's." So the lady starts digging through her purse til she grabs something and holds it aloft like Arthur wielding Escalibur...It's a miniature bottle of Grey Goose! And this lady is just babbling about how she has to give my mom a present, she just has to! So my mom (who drinks wine only) re-gifts it to me for my b-day a week or so ago, and now, as we sit and chat, I am drinking some lady's purse vodka with my Red Bull, toasting my goodreads buddies with my drunken ramble :)
Salute!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... LOL!!!!!!!!! Can't be too drunken - you're post was quite coherent! But alas, I am jealous. *sigh*

message 21: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LMAO! Laurie, that story is hilarious.

Dhes, why are you in a wheelchair?

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Leah, 'cuz I can't walk long distances.

Laura the Highland Hussy UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "LOL!!!!!!!!! Can't be too drunken - you're post was quite coherent! But alas, I am jealous. *sigh*"

At least I didn't slur this time :) [Getard-shakes head in disgust:]

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... ROFLMAO!!!!!! I see good ol' Get hasn't forgiven you!

message 25: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Leah, 'cuz I can't walk long distances."

Ohhhh. I sorry :(

Who's Getard...? ;)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Getard is Gerard Butler, but one night after too much to drink, Laurie the Hussy was posting with drunken abandon and couldn't seem to hit the right keys.

message 27: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Ohhh. LOL. Oh, Gerard Butler...So sexy ;)

Laura the Highland Hussy I was soo not posting with drunken abandon, well okay. Maybe a little :)
Okay. Yes I admit it! I was drunk! How else could I mess up Gerard's name?

message 29: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL! It's okay, Laurie. Sometimes I spell Gerard's name wrong. And I'm sober. LOL. I type to fast and often forget the first "r" ;)

Laura the Highland Hussy Plus I was on my phone and the keyboard is small

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Laurie-Highland Hussy wrote: "Plus I was on my phone and the keyboard is small"

Ok, ok... stop making excuses! We know the truth and love you anyway! Or maybe because.

Laura the Highland Hussy He he... Btw Bounty Hunter was great. Gerry's Hawt!!

message 34: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Yes, Laurie we still love you anyway ;)

Dhes, The Bounty Hunter was fantastic! Have you guys seen Law-Abiding Citizen? Such a great movie. Freaked me out at times, but great. And that ass shot of Gerard was a veryyyy nice touch ;D

Laura the Highland Hussy Yes, Law Abiding Citizen was crazy-what a mindfreak!! And yes, nice to see the 300 body was still there...what a great butt!!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I haven't seen anything that I can remember with Gerar... oh, 300?

message 37: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Law Abiding Citizen freaked me out with that cell phone killing! I was afraid to use my cell phone for about a week because I thought I would die! LOL

I haven't seen 300 but I have been told to see it because there is a fantastic Gerard love scene, LOL ;)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Oh, I posted a Gerard link to his interview with Ellen on one of my status updates. He's very hot. LURVE the accent!

message 39: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I LOVE his accent. There's just something about a Scottishman ;D

Laura the Highland Hussy Leah *~*Pherocious*~* wrote: "I LOVE his accent. There's just something about a Scottishman ;D"

I just watched "Made of Honor" the chick flick with Patrick Dempsey. It was set in Scotland and I loved just listening to everyone talk

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Oooh, I had no idea... I love the accent!

Laura the Highland Hussy It was pretty a pretty cute movie-Imagine Julia Robert's My Best Friend's Wedding but with a different ending and lots of Scotsmen. oh and Patrick Dempsey in a "mini" kilt trying to toss a caber!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I love a man in a kilt as much as the next woman with a heartbeat, but I have to say I think I'd like him better OUT of the kilt. *sigh*

Laura the Highland Hussy he he, I think I might have to agree.

message 45: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I'm not really a Patrick Dempsey fan. So I'll leave him to you and take Gerard ;D

Laura the Highland Hussy I loved him in this movie, though. And I'm not the Highland Hussy for nothing-back away from my Gerry ;P
(j/k we can share)

message 47: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I'm a hussy for Highlanders, too, LOL.
Fine, fine. *grumbles* I guess I can share... ;)