Mike Padilla's Reviews > Hungry Woman in Paris

Hungry Woman in Paris by Josefina López

May 05, 2010

liked it

I picked this book up because I heard the author speak on a panel at a book fair, and I was impressed by her energy and passion, especially when talking about women taking charge of their own sexuality in life and in books. Much of that energy and passion comes through in this novel as well. Many of the things that others have stated that they didn't like about the book I was OK with or even liked. The explicitness of the sex, for instance, I found refreshing. The "low morals" of the character that so many people have referred on this site I didn't even blink at, so no problem there. And yes, the writing can be rather clunky, but that underlying passion for life made me overlook it. Where I had my biggest problem was with the voice of the narrator. She is supposed to be a 30-year-old, successful journalist; someone who we think would be highly educated and able to express herself intelligently, thoughtfully. While there were certainly lots of insightful moments in the book, I more often than not felt a bit like I was listening to the voice of a 16-year-old. Her voice just wasn't adult enough to match who we are told she is; her descriptions, especially for a journalist, were often imprecise; and her reactions to things often had a sort of juvenile foot-stamping that I wouldn't associate with someone of that age and experience. This was the primary distraction for me, but overall I thought this was an enjoyable read and would certainly give a chance to whatever she writes next.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hungry Woman in Paris.

04/04/2016 marked as: read