Nic's Reviews > We'll Always Have Summer

We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han

May 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011, cover-crazy, summertime-fun, realistic-fiction, read-in-2011, nomes-read-along
Read on May 21, 2011

Favourite Quote: "It’s a known fact that in life, you can’t have everything. In my heart I knew I loved them both, as much as possible to love two people at the same time. Conrad and I were linked, we would always be linked. That wasn’t something I could do away with. I knew that now—that love wasn’t something you could erase, no matter how hard you tried."

I was extremely excited to read the final installment in the Summer series (so excited that I hugged the book and did my little happy dance when I got it). And after finishing it I am left feeling a bit disappointed. It just felt it lacked the something special the last two books had.

I am having a hard time summing up why this book has left me feeling a little down (and also trying to write it spoiler free) so I decided to do a pros and cons list.

PROS

•Belly - I adore the character she has become. Finally I feel like Belly has grown up. She is wiser and stronger.
•Despite not always been happy with what was going on with the plot it still kept me turning the pages. It was impossible to stop reading no matter how mad I got.
•Getting Conrad's POV finally. At last I understand him. If I didn't have his POV I don't think I would be able to forgive him so easily for the past. Conrad has changed for the better like Belly. Although I would have like a bit more of him in the book.
•The ending - It is the ending I wanted. The journey there might have not gone the way I liked but the ending left me very happy. I would have liked a little more detail though (like a big smooching scene) but still ended the way it should have.

CONS

•Lack of swooning. This book felt like it was missing some chemistry between the characters.
•Some of the events in the plot felt unnatural. Not like actions these characters would really make.
•They way Han portrayed one of my favourite characters. It felt like she was forcing us not to like this certain character and not letting us make our own opinion .
•Last time the love triangle was just right. This time it felt way off. Love triangles need to be equal in my opinion to work and this time it wasn't. You should feel heartbroken having to choose between the two and Han didn't give one of them a chance.

Overall, We'll Always Have Summer is still a somewhat good read but it feels out of place in what has been such an enjoyable series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We'll Always Have Summer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Abbey I loved this one, but i have to say now you mentioned it i think it would of been great to see how Belly and Conrad met in the future. looking forward to the review!

message 2: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nic I love this series but a few things felt wrong about this book. I will explain in my review :)

Steph Su Nic, I feel the same way. I will look forward to reading your review!

message 4: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nic I am going to try and write it today.

Jasprit Great review Nic, I was so happy about getting Conrad's POV too! :) Gahhhh! it's a pity you didn't like this one :(

message 6: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Nice honest review Nic! I wondered about this one..hmmm...it will have to wait! LOL

message 7: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nic I loved the rest of the series. Just not this book so much.

message 8: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber I think I just have M.V. On the brain!!

message 9: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nic I think you mean Nekkid Shane. You need another addictive series now.....

message 10: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Exactly!! On both aspects!! You read my mind!

Milly Man oh man! I'm excited for this book as well. But, come on, 3 stars? So disappointing! Oh well, still reading it even though I know I'll be disappointed in the end. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it Nic! Wished the book was better, being that it's the last one!