Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Dec 08, 2007

bookshelves: fiction, groups-buddies, orphaned-and-quasi-orphaned-kids, reviewed, childrens, novel, speculative-fiction, school-story, young-adult, nyc
Recommended for: 8-12 year olds & all the way up to adults, especially for kids with dyslexia & ADHD
Read in March, 2009

I really loved this book. I think it’s geared for 8-12 year olds but this is one of those books that the more you know about the world the more you like it. The premise is wonderful and very creative. The characters, especially the hero Percy, are very likeable. There’s so much humor, popping up at places where I least expected it and I absolutely enjoyed all of it.

The story was predictable and one of the main surprises/mysteries wasn’t one for me, but it didn’t really matter. In fact, it was fun to be ahead of the hero in at least one way.

Percy, the main character hero, has dyslexia and ADHD, and the explanation given for these conditions could make this a beloved book for kids who also have dyslexia, ADHD, and any other learning or behavioral challenge.

However, unlike the first Harry Potter book (this is also the first book in a series) I didn’t envy the hero’s position one little bit. That didn’t stop me from enjoying his situation as a spectator.

This book could inspire children to learn more about mythology and it is a good introduction to some of the mythological gods and other beings and their stories, but readers might enjoy this book more if they’d had some basic education in ancient Greek mythology.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lightning Thief.

03/28/2009 page 1
03/29/2009 page 44
11.67% "So far love the character(s), the premise, the humor, and think will really enjoy the mythology."
03/29/2009 page 107
28.38% "Fun book. Engaging characters. But unlike the first Harry Potter book, I wouldn't want to be in the main character's situation."
07/20/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by CLM (last edited Mar 31, 2009 08:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

CLM I hesitated too - in part because I felt Percy is lucky rather than heroic - but I think ultimately gave the 5 for creativity, memorable characters, and because I love mythology.

This is one of the first times my niece loved a book before I did!

Lisa Vegan I love mythology too and it does have so much creativity, humor, interesting characters. I think I'll stick with the 5 stars. it is unique.

I'm very glad to hear your niece liked it as I wasn't sure if this would be considered a "boy book" despite Annabeth/the 2 boys & 1 girl that the Harry Potter series has.

Have you read any of the other books in the series?

Luann This series is very popular in my library. So far I've just read this first one. I plan to read the others, but they are almost always checked out!

Lisa Vegan Yes, I can see why they'd be popular.

Oh, and I just wanted to say that I do see Percy as a hero, if only because he was so brave and didn't try to avoid his quest, and also the way he handled situations with his friends.

Lisa Vegan I read it for the Young Adults book club here at Goodreads:

I've read many good books because of this club.

£lizabeth i have afriend who is 12 and she loves this book

Lisa Vegan £lizabeth wrote: "i have afriend who is 12 and she loves this book"

I would have also loved it when I was 12.

£lizabeth Lisa ur not going to say nything

Lisa Vegan £lizabeth wrote: "Lisa ur not going to say nything"

?

£lizabeth wow thats just sad

Douglas Scott LOGAN LERMAN IS SOO HOT AND HANDSOME!!!!!!

hare are some facts you might not know about him:
1he was jewish
2,he played piano

message 12: by Lisa (last edited May 26, 2015 05:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan £lizabeth wrote: "wow thats just sad"

What about message #7 does not qualify as a reply?